Russia bans film on death of Stalin

Mar 2010
This film was bound to be controversial in Russia.

Russia bars 'extremist' British comedy The Death of Stalin - BBC News

Looks like they are making a half assed attempt to say its getting banned for being disrespectful to Russians who died in WWII.

Where as the real reason is obviously they don't want the Russian people to know how terrified everyone was of Stalin, or the chaos that the Russian leadership was thrown into at the time of his death.

The trailer looks like it will be entertaining, poking fun at the Beast from Georgia.

Mar 2012
City of Angels
Unprecedented as such actions may seem, for an American go try finding the embarrassing footage of President George H.W Bush vomiting in the lap of Japanese PM Miyazama. The video is available, but edited, leaving out the former president’s unexpected stream of vomit that landed on the Japanese leader. A moment that undoubtedly changed the course of history, it’s gone from the internets

Feb 2013
Second City
In keeping with the rehabilitation of Stalin undertaken by the Putin regime, with the further unsettling implication that mocking a Soviet tyrant is an insult to Russia and Russians. Though that's also in keeping with Putinist policy of presenting the Russian Federation not merely as a successor to, but as an inheritor or legatee of the USSR; remember the cyberattack on the Estonian government in 2007 for *moving* a monument to the fallen of WWII (a rededicated memorial to the Red Army), during which the time the Estonian embassy in Moscow was besieged for nine days by nationalist youth groups.

Movie looks like a darkly fun romp, and that cast is spectacular. I've only heard good things so far. My one complaint about the trailer is Malenkov (Jeffrey Tambor) telling everybody that they can "kiss [his] Russian ass,"; Malenkov was always very vocal about being a Macedonian.

If anybody digs this kinda thing, I'd highly recommend the made-for-TV movie "Red Monarch" from 1983. Similarly well-cast, with Colin Blakely delivering a spectacular performance as the Big Mustache.

Trailer

One of the darker clips from the film.

Last edited:
Sep 2012
Prague, Czech Republic
If anybody digs this kinda thing, I'd highly recommend the made-for-TV movie "Red Monarch" from 1983. Similarly well-cast, with Colin Blakely delivering a spectacular performance as the Big Mustache.
From the clips you posted, Red Monarch looks like a very different film. Death of Stalin is done as a surreal, over-the-top farce - note how Ianucci's approach to what accent people should use when they're speaking a different language to the characters is to have them exaggerate their native accents.

Apparently it's based on a graphic novel, but I don't know what that's like.

Feb 2013
Second City
From the clips you posted, Red Monarch looks like a very different film. Death of Stalin is done as a surreal, over-the-top farce - note how Ianucci's approach to what accent people should use when they're speaking a different language to the characters is to have them exaggerate their native accents.
Red Monarch does that as well—Georgians have Irish accents, Russians have English accents, etc. I'd agree, Red Monarch is more of a farcical satire with deep and dark veins of black comedy and chill pathos, rather than Ianucci's much more cinematic, over-the-top comic opera farce.

Both certainly worth a viewing, I'd wager.

Aug 2016
moscow, russia.
they don't want the Russian people to know how terrified everyone was of Stalin
because no one was terrified of him really. Stalin ruled for 30 years, and you can't rule through fear alone that long; need to endear people somehow by making them happy. Soviets were happy under Stalin, that is a fact the movie producers have deliberately ignored and thus insulted Russians and therefore been rightfully banned, for such movies are boorish and insulting, they should not be allowed demonstrate in public.

of Stalin movies i'd recommend this one [eng subs] -

Last edited:
Mar 2010
because no one was terrified of him really. Stalin ruled for 30 years, and you can't rule through fear alone that long; need to endear people somehow by making them happy. Soviets were happy under Stalin, that is a fact the movie producers have deliberately ignored and thus insulted Russians and therefore been rightfully banned, for such movies are boorish and insulting, they should not be allowed demonstrate in public.

of Stalin movies i'd recommend this one [eng subs] -
AAHHH I see our paid Russian trolls have finally noticed this post.

because no one was terrified of him really.

This line would be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic.

Jan 2018
China (Hong Kong SAR)

Similar History Discussions