Russia bans film on death of Stalin

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The deaths attributed to Mao is largely due to famine, as a consequence of agricultural devastation by the Japanese. If a comedy is done, great sensitivity must be given considering the millions of people who had suffered as a consequence of the war, many of them still alive. This would be equivalent to a comedy based on the Holocaust, which would be in poor taste.

Given time and some understanding, perhaps a comedy could be done, but it won't be so simple.
“Life Is Beautiful” is a beautiful comedy made about the Fascism in Italy and the Holocaust. If you didn’t saw it, I would recommend it

Jan 2018
China (Hong Kong SAR)
Just so you know, comedy or not, it won't be so easy for the elderly to sit there and simply accept mockery on screen, especially if suffering from untreated PTSD as many people do suffer from the wars.

Like portraying a rape scene in a movie, sure, perhaps for artistic perhaps, but it will trigger, not because of princess sensitivity, but because of legitimate traumas that are embedded neurologically. Of course, not that they would be completely censored anyway, but the point is here, care must always be taken in distribution. Notice how many extreme horror movies are so difficult to find without the internet, for example, the Human Centipede is discouraged from distribution.

What I'm trying to say is, the distribution of comedy movies made of such sensitive times is something that I personally feel should be monitored carefully.

This isn't as simple as seeing naked bodies on screen.

Dec 2015
The Balkans
Americans making movies about the history of other nations is never a good thing. It's always ignorant and ideological. Also, they use American actors and English language which makes the movies look stupid and unwatchable. I respect Mel Gibson for at least not doing that.

If I wanted to watch a movie about some Russian historic event, I would watch Russian movies about it. Plain and simple.

Imagine how sensitive Americans would be if Russians started to make movies mocking American history and promoted those movies in the USA.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Americans making movies about the history of other nations is never a good thing. It's always ignorant and ideological. Also, they use American actors and English language which makes the movies look stupid and unwatchable. I respect Mel Gibson for at least not doing that.

If I wanted to watch a movie about some Russian historic event, I would watch Russian movies about it. Plain and simple.

Imagine how sensitive Americans would be if Russians started to make movies mocking American history and promoted those movies in the USA.
In many countries the movies are dubbed (spelling?), and I don’t see a problem about a country making a movie about another, or using a different language, but I am with you saluting Mel Gibson for his effort.

But following that reasoning historians could only research about their own country. Albeit I have to concede that many Hollywood movies could be more intelligent. Sometimes they seem to threat the viewer as an idiot.

EDIT: Btw, I would like to see a non-US comedy mocking the USA stereotypes.

Last edited:

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Here's something interesting:
https://www.quora.com/What-do-Russians-think-about-Stalin

By the way, I wouldn't recommend claiming others to be a troll if they have a different perspective, to do so is frivolously childish. I've met some Russians in my time as an international student, and quite a few of them view Stalin in a good light. http://historum.com/members/lawnmowerman.html
Stalin industrialized an agricultural society of illiterate peasants. He forcefully promoted literacy and laid foundations of the learning of science and technology in the then Soviet Union. Remember that the Soviets quickly followed the USA in nuclear weapons technology and they were the first in sending an animal ( the bitch Laika ) into space. He galvanised the resistance of the Soviet Army and the Soviet people against the German Army. ( Though it was his foolish disbelief in the credible intelligence reported to him about the German intentions to attack the Soviet Union and his foolish insistance of holding on to untenable positions, e.g. Kiev, which cost a blood bath to the Soviets. ) And his vindictive actions in shooting innocents in millions, was an abominable crime against humanity.

Reactions: HardtackJuniper
Jan 2018
China (Hong Kong SAR)
You're Indian... why don't you discuss this with Russians instead of asserting your own opinions. Anyway, this thread is getting weirdly political in a direction that is not my preference... so I'm gone...

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
You're Indian... why don't you discuss this with Russians instead of asserting your own opinions. Anyway, this thread is getting weirdly political in a direction that is not my preference... so I'm gone...
This is an open forum and all are free to voice their opinions. We have to view Stalin from afar, almost 64 years after his death, and all angles of his personality are open for discussion.

Reactions: Zip

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Stalin industrialized an agricultural society of illiterate peasants. He forcefully promoted literacy and laid foundations of the learning of science and technology in the then Soviet Union. Remember that the Soviets quickly followed the USA in nuclear weapons technology and they were the first in sending an animal ( the bitch Laika ) into space. He galvanised the resistance of the Soviet Army and the Soviet people against the German Army. ( Though it was his foolish disbelief in the credible intelligence reported to him about the German intentions to attack the Soviet Union and his foolish insistance of holding on to untenable positions, e.g. Kiev, which cost a blood bath to the Soviets. ) And his vindictive actions in shooting innocents in millions, was an abominable crime against humanity.
Nicely put.

Anyway, both of the trailers posted here, from both comedies about Stalin, seem inviting.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Nicely put.

Anyway, both of the trailers posted here, from both comedies about Stalin, seem inviting.
Thanks for your compliment. Stalin was a historic personality, no doubt of that. He ranks there with Chingis Khan, Hitler and Napoleon.