Russia bans film on death of Stalin

Jan 2014
Portugal
Digging hard, but I just saw this picture and its amazing. I know it is not historicly acurate, but that wouldn't be apropriate for a black comedy so thats fine.
What is really important its the way the film maker was able to given us a feeling of what could had be going trough soviet aparatchik minds on those days... Sureal.

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
I have seen the movie on cable here. The first time was a little strange and then I realized it was a comedy and began to enjoy it. The Malenkov character was well played. I laughed when he was pulling on his girdle straps. I had a hard time handling everyone calling Kruschchev, Nicky. I was around when Stalin's daughter came to the US and when she left. The Zhukov character was well played. The best part for me was how the Security people started running around shooting each other. I did enjoy the movie when I stopped analyzing it.

Pruitt

Apr 2018
India
Silly thread to begin with. People have been making jokes, comedies and satires of their enemies for ages. Some find them funny, some don't. Both are equally normal. The only stupid thing here is to assume that first is normal and the second is not.

And Russian perception of the Great Patriotic War ain't something that a comedy movie can change. Generally Russians don't care, but sometimes they take things only mildly seriously. Only Child 44 crossed all red lines and was banned in Belarus, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and even release was postponed in Georgia.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Americans making movies about the history of other nations is never a good thing. It's always ignorant and ideological. Also, they use American actors and English language which makes the movies look stupid and unwatchable. I respect Mel Gibson for at least not doing that.

If I wanted to watch a movie about some Russian historic event, I would watch Russian movies about it. Plain and simple.

Imagine how sensitive Americans would be if Russians started to make movies mocking American history and promoted those movies in the USA.
This is a British production, not an American one. As mentioned, the Georgians have Irish accents.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Americans making movies about the history of other nations is never a good thing. It's always ignorant and ideological. Also, they use American actors and English language which makes the movies look stupid and unwatchable. I respect Mel Gibson for at least not doing that.

If I wanted to watch a movie about some Russian historic event, I would watch Russian movies about it. Plain and simple.

Imagine how sensitive Americans would be if Russians started to make movies mocking American history and promoted those movies in the USA.
This film was a British production.

In any case counties don't always make more accurate films about their own history. Take Chernobyl as an example. There is currently a Russian film being produced that is going to allege the disaster at the nuclear power plant was the work of a CIA agent.

The recent HBO miniseries on the Chernobyl disaster is about a thousand times more accurate than the current Russian attempt - which is evidently being penned by a clueless, tinfoil hat wearing nationalist - despite the actors in the former being English-speaking Brits.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
...and an Armenian with Welsh accent. I like very much Jason Isaacs and his Zhukov.
I guess Ukranians had Welsh accents and Georgia is farther away, so they have Irish accents. I can't quite imagine Stalin and Beria with Irish accents or Irishmen being that ruthless.

Some Hollywood productions are bad on historical and cultural accents. British productions are usually pretty accurate, but they tend to over emphasize class issues and have everyone act detached and so on.

In general US and British productions are less propagandistic than say Soviet ones.

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
@betgo I was not talking in general, I meant that the role of Mykoian in this movie is played by a Welsh actor Paul Whitehouse. I watched this comedy very recently and merely wanted to say that Jason Isaacs/his Zhukov is awesome. Regarding the presence or lack of propaganda in the Soviet/Russian films, i know the language and watched plenty of them. Some are good, others not so, some 'propagandistic', others without any trace of it like Come and See for example, so i respectfully disagree.

Reactions: Zip
Apr 2018
India
@betgo I was not talking in general, I meant that the role of Mykoian in this movie is played by a Welsh actor Paul Whitehouse. I watched this comedy very recently and merely wanted to say that Jason Isaacs/his Zhukov is awesome. Regarding the presence or lack of propaganda in the Soviet/Russian films, i know the language and watched plenty of them. Some are good, others not so, some 'propagandistic', others without any trace of it like Come and See for example, so i respectfully disagree.
Agreed. I have watched my share of Russian movies and didn't find anything quite propagandistic. Good Russian movies, I find, surpass Hollywood by miles. I can bet my *** on Brest Fortress (I don't know whether you have seen it or not, if not then highly recommended). Glasnost era films are often self-criticising, like Afghanskiy Izlom. Even among the older films there wasn't much propaganda. However I haven't seen anything much outside war flicks, a few comedies aside.

The most propagandistic Russian films I've ever seen are, ironically the legendary ancient ones, Battleship Potemkin and Strike.

And have never seen anything so pathetic as Child 44.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
“Life Is Beautiful” is a beautiful comedy made about the Fascism in Italy and the Holocaust. If you didn’t saw it, I would recommend it
Just so you know, comedy or not, it won't be so easy for the elderly to sit there and simply accept mockery on screen, especially if suffering from untreated PTSD as many people do suffer from the wars.
Two assumptions:
1. I suppose Tulius is referring to Roberto Benigni's "La Vita e Bella",
2. I suppose analysis17456 is responding to Tulius' post.

If so:
analysis17456, yes it is possible, yes, elderly, even the few still living having experienced those times could not just watch but like a comedy based on such tragic events.

"La Vita e Bella" besides being a comedy, it's a profound film, depicting so magnificently an *insignificant nobody's" resiliance to the unstoppable fascist behemoth.

I think You will laugh, but having the tear permanently in the corner of Your eye and Your stomach in Your throat.

Comedy doesn't mean necessarily mockery. Sometimes it can be extremely profound.

Try to watch that film.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tulius