Russian history topic: suggestions?

May 2017
Amsterdam
Hello everyone.

I have to do research for school. We have to do research on a topic we like. You can choose everything, as long as it is a question you can answer. There can be more questions in one paper, those questions need to be asked to help you find the answer to the original question.
You have to find the answers yourself. It has to be around 25 pages long.

An example:

if the topic is the assassination of John f Kennedy

Was John F Kennedy killed by 'friend' or enemy? Friend in this case means the FBI, CIA etc. Enemy means maffia, political extremists.

Smaller questions would be:
What kind of man was John F Kennedy,
How did the murder happen,
Lee Harvey Oswald, scapegoat or killer?
How was the murder depicted?
Who were Chauncey Holt and James Files
What impact had the Cold War?
Does the FBI have anything to do with the murder?
Does the Maffia have anything to do with the murder?

I need to find a topic too, but it's been very difficult so far.
I know what I want to write about: Russian history.

I am particularly interested in:
Kievan Rus' (882–1283)
Mongol invasion (1223–1240)
Tsardom of Russia (1547–1721) --> Ivan IV, the Terrible
and Peter the Great.

It would be nice if you could give me some interesting topics to think about!
I don't need questions, topics are okay for me too. :lol:

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Ivan III the great , the first Muscovite ruler to take the tittle of Czar , married the daughter of the last Byzantine emperor and started the "gathering of Russian lands"
He crushed the republics of Pskov and Novgorod , took great chunks of the Lithuanian state and changed Muscovy into Russia

Nov 2015
Kyiv
Ivan III the great , the first Muscovite ruler to take the tittle of Czar , married the daughter of the last Byzantine emperor and started the "gathering of Russian lands"
He crushed the republics of Pskov and Novgorod , took great chunks of the Lithuanian state and changed Muscovy into Russia
That's right, only Sophia Palaeologus was not the daughter of the Byzantine emperor, but her niece. Her father was a despot of Morea (Peloponnese in Greece) and the younger brother of the last emperor Constantine 11, who died during the capture of Constantinople by the Turks in 1453.

And Ivan III was not the one who renamed Muscovy to Russia. This was done by Peter the Great at the beginning of the 18th century. Muscovy became known under him as the Russian Empire or simply Russia. Prior to that, its official name was Moscow Tzardom (Московское царство) or Muscow state (Московское государство).

Nov 2015
Kyiv
Was Rasputin evil?
was Rasputin was the biggest cause for the fall of the Tsarist government?
I think the reason is not in Rasputin, but in the tzar. Nicholas II, as I understand it, wanted to be a monarch in the English version - those who reigns, but does not governs in his country. By the way, he was an anglophile. The Russians didn’t like it, and at some point they stopped seeing him as their tzar. He was not tough enough with his people and too liberal and weak for Russia. And Rasputin only made his rule completely odious in the eyes of the Russian people.

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
My thoughts Dir. Also the grand duchy became tsardom during the reign of Ivan IV, the grandson of Ivan III the Great. Though i am sure Muscovy/ Moscovia is Rzeczpospolita name for the grand duchy of Moscow, ergo an exonym, it was Rus for the locals, the great unifier/conqueror, depending on the point de vue of all Rus cities/lands.

Last edited:
Sep 2016
Georgia
I think that very interesting period for you would be Time of Troubles or Смутное время in Russian. Though it might be complicated to research, especially material not in Russian. However, it easily puts something like Game of Thrones to shame. Plenty of intrigues, war, tragedy, conspiracies and establishment of Romanov dynasty at the end.

Sep 2016
Georgia
I think the reason is not in Rasputin, but in the tzar. Nicholas II, as I understand it, wanted to be a monarch in the English version - those who reigns, but does not governs in his country. By the way, he was an anglophile. The Russians didn’t like it, and at some point they stopped seeing him as their tzar. He was not tough enough with his people and too liberal and weak for Russia. And Rasputin only made his rule completely odious in the eyes of the Russian people.
They often call him ,, Царь тряпка ''. Though he is also famous as ,, Кровавый ''

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
.thanks Dir , my bad , your good
the time of troubles is more suited for a grear novel than an essay , there is tragedy , misery , comic episodes , pretenders , chaotic warfare
even love in the unbelievable adventure of the false dimitys and his wife used as a political football

Similar History Discussions