Russian Tsar Alexander II lives until 1900

Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Ethiopians were also Oriental Orthodox Christians just like the Armenians were and yet Tsarist Russia was nevertheless able to have good relations with them. One would think that a common feeling of Pan-Christian solidarity might be enough to overcome the denominational differences between Russians and Armenians.
So, I'll admit that my opinion was also informed from reading the Russian fiction writers of that era. Recently I've read more Chekhov than any of the others. If the fiction reflects the prejudices of the average Russian, then it's safe to say that sympathy for Armenians was less than that for the Southern European nations. Curiously, in Dostoevsky's fiction the foreigners that typically are portrayed in a positive light are Germans. (He was writing near the end of Alexander II's reign by the way.)

Yes, but theoretically speaking, there could still be enough push for a Russian military intervention. Interestingly enough, the Armenians' different church didn't actually prevent the Ottomans from viewing them as pro-Russian and thus genociding them just two decades later in real life.
I'll agree to the extent that an expedition was more likely under an aged Alexander II than compared to his successor, sure.

Why'd Russia conquer Kars in 1877-1878?

Also, do you think that Alexander II would have been inclined to militarily intervene in China in 1884-1885 during the Sino-French War?
Perhaps.
Forgetting where I read this in the last year, still a source I was looking at really emphasized the Ministers' interest in the Pacific during the early years of Nicholas' reign. These same interests may have succeeded in organizing a more aggressive stance during '84, sure.

However, the railway to the Pacific could not possibly be completed 10 years earlier than the OTL, so I don't know what practical intervention we are discussing?

Agreed that it would be less urgent--especially if Alexander II doesn't look like he's about to die soon yet in 1894. Thus, Yes, theoretically speaking, Nicholas II could be forced to marry someone else in this scenario. Who that would be might be a question better suited for you than for me, though. :)
The more I read about the family of Alice, Victoria's daughter, they are a more colorful family among the Coburgs.

Since Alix's sister was already a converted and seemingly happy Russian, the match seemed to be very logical, even Wilhelm apparently enthused for the match. I don't know whether Nicholas' mother could have succeeded in steering the match to be with an alternate, really?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
So, I'll admit that my opinion was also informed from reading the Russian fiction writers of that era. Recently I've read more Chekhov than any of the others. If the fiction reflects the prejudices of the average Russian, then it's safe to say that sympathy for Armenians was less than that for the Southern European nations. Curiously, in Dostoevsky's fiction the foreigners that typically are portrayed in a positive light are Germans. (He was writing near the end of Alexander II's reign by the way.)
Very interesting!

I'll agree to the extent that an expedition was more likely under an aged Alexander II than compared to his successor, sure.
Good. :)

Perhaps.
Forgetting where I read this in the last year, still a source I was looking at really emphasized the Ministers' interest in the Pacific during the early years of Nicholas' reign. These same interests may have succeeded in organizing a more aggressive stance during '84, sure.

However, the railway to the Pacific could not possibly be completed 10 years earlier than the OTL, so I don't know what practical intervention we are discussing?
Russia didn't actually need a railway to the Pacific in order to force China to give up Outer Manchuria in 1860, though. Why would 1884 have been different?

The more I read about the family of Alice, Victoria's daughter, they are a more colorful family among the Coburgs.

Since Alix's sister was already a converted and seemingly happy Russian, the match seemed to be very logical, even Wilhelm apparently enthused for the match. I don't know whether Nicholas' mother could have succeeded in steering the match to be with an alternate, really?
Do you mean Ella/Elizabeth?