Rusty Gun Identification

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Not the foggiest but i'm intrigued. Its obviously started life as a black powder pocket pistol, that looks like a lever ramrod on the right side so probably 1850 up to 1880 period.

Those stamped marks are likely to be the manufacturer but it could be any one of a dozen small craftsmen

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Webley Bulldog or some sort of copy

Webley Bulldog - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

Basically the cut down pocket version of the Webley Royal Irish constabulary model pistol which is what George Armstrong Custer was carrying at the little bighorn.

British Bull Dog revolver - Wikipedia

Numerous copies and variants of this design (authorized and unauthorized) were made in Belfast, Belgium, Spain, Pakistan, France and the United States during the late 19th century.[7] American copies were manufactured by the firms of Forehand & Wadsworth, Iver Johnson and Harrington & Richardson. Belgian and American versions (aka: Frontier Bulldogs) were chambered for the .44 S&W American or .442 Webley cartridges.[5] The .44 Bull Dog was a popular American cartridge that was a shorter and less powerful cartridge that could also be fired from .442 Webley caliber revolvers. In 1973 Charter Arms introduced their Bulldog revolver. It is a five shot snub nose that is designed for concealed carry or a back up gun. It was named in honour of the original but does not share a design.

Last edited:

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Of the several possibilities, you'll need to decipher the maker's marks on the frame. Listen to Nemo, he is well-regarded here for his firearms knowledge. Caliber and the drop-down trigger are also clues, but just outside my knowledge.

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Of the several possibilities, you'll need to decipher the maker's marks on the frame. Listen to Nemo, he is well-regarded here for his firearms knowledge. Caliber and the drop-down trigger are also clues, but just outside my knowledge.
Not that good, just lucky.

For random reasons i was looking at the Clint Eastwood movie Joe Kidd so i decided took at the IMFDB page for it and went 'hang on that looks familiar'

Its definitely not the original Webley Bulldog but same pattern, same ramrod so more likely one of its clones or rip off versions.

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Agreed. Caliber, swing down trigger and the general appearance are consistent with the Webley designs, but I don't think its a Webley. Need that makers mark. There are some treatments to bring out and clarify otherwise indecipherable stamps, but only the OP is in a position to do the tests.

Similar History Discussions