Saddam Hussein goes for Kuwait in 1980

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Saddam won't let embargos stop him from ruling over Kuwait. As for Iran, they're not going to fight Saddam again after the brutal eight-year war that they previously fought against him ended in a draw.
An embargo, combined with constant air strikes and support for rebel groups over the course of years may force him to withdraw. Kuwait would be useless to him if he can't sell its oil and is at war with all his neighbors. It would be like stealing millions of dollars but being surrounded by the police, you can't spend it or go anywhere, so its uselsess.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
An embargo, combined with constant air strikes and support for rebel groups over the course of years may force him to withdraw. Kuwait would be useless to him if he can't sell its oil and is at war with all his neighbors. It would be like stealing millions of dollars but being surrounded by the police, you can't spend it or go anywhere, so its uselsess.
Were there any rebel groups in Kuwait after the Iraqi invasion? I thought that a large part of Kuwait's population simply fled.

starman

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Connecticut
One problem with an invasion in 1980 was the rather poor readiness of Iraqi forces, which in real life hindered the attack on Iran. The Iran-Iraq war forced Baghdad to build an expanded and relatively competent Republican Guards, which efficiently took Kuwait in 1990. I've blogged about this (Alternate Scenarios Iraq 1980-91). I opined that Iraq should've spent five years beefing up its forces before taking Kuwait in 1985. It should've also taken the oilfields of eastern KSA to get enough of world oil production to make sanctions too painful for the West.

Offspring

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
România
The US economy was already running on fumes through lack of consistent oil supplies. And we want to piss OPEC of even more?
The OPEC countries would have supported the Americans, not the Iraqis, just like they did during the Gulf War. Saudi Arabia was the big dog and it wouldn't have liked Kuwait being invaded, just like it didn't in 1990.

Offspring

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
România
Btw, if anyone wants to see one of the best propaganda masterpieces:

He knew all the reporters would ask about their own countries and cycled thru them, in order to avoid talking too much about the costs and the body count. I've seen it several times. You can see how many times he baits them. He starts talking about some nation's troops and then abruptly ends the narrative, knowing it will be brought up again in the Q&A section.

starman

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Connecticut
That would have certainly resulted in a Western military intervention against Iraq even in 1985, though.

But what if Iraq took such a big percentage of world oil output, i.e. KSA as well as Kuwait and their own, that just blockading the Iraqis to prevent exports might've led to serious economic disruption?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
the political set up was completely different ,
in 1980 Saddam was the protector of the Sunnis against the revolutionary Shia
Iraq Bahrain , Saudi Arabia the UAE and Qatar have large Shia populations which were getting restive ,
Saddam had the petro-sheikdom pouring money in his coffers to protect them from those baddies
the US provided him with plenty of support too , including toxic gas making technology
he was the "good Guy "
his beef with Kuweit was when those ungrateful mothers asked him to repay their loans , he though they were gifts
on top they were siphoning oil from their shared borders
he asked the US ambassador , April Glaspie ,if it was OK to get heavy and was given what he though was a green light
" We have no opinion on your Arab-Arab conflicts, such as your dispute with Kuwait. secretary Baker has directed me to emphasize the instruction, first given to Iraq in the 1960s, that the Kuwait issue is not associated with America."

Similar History Discussions