Saddam Hussein is overthrown in 1991

starman

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Connecticut
I suspect a lot of the motivation to get Sadam in 2003 only grew out of the frustration with Sadam later in the 1990s as he repeatedly defied UN inspectors.
It grew out of 911 and the neocon screwballs who thought they knew more than Saddam about how to govern Iraq. The idea was to democratize Iraq so democracy would spread throughout the region supposedly making Arabs less radical and Israel safer. Never was US policy so delusional.

The motivation wasn't there in 1991. In 1991 people were still asking, 'Without Sadam, who will oppose Iran?' The answer to that question in 2003 was a magical fairy tale - a democratic Iraq.
Krauthammer wanted to go to Baghdad in ‘91. (I don’t miss him one bit, lol...)

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
It grew out of 911 and the neocon screwballs who thought they knew more than Saddam about how to govern Iraq. The idea was to democratize Iraq so democracy would spread throughout the region supposedly making Arabs less radical and Israel safer. Never was US policy so delusional.

Krauthammer wanted to go to Baghdad in ‘91. (I don’t miss him one bit, lol...)
What was Krauthammer's logic for this in 1991?

As for spreading democracy across the Middle East, it did spread to some additional countries in the 15 years after the Iraq War--but it wasn't always successful (Libya) and there were also reactionary pushbacks against it (Egypt, Syria).

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
OK. Also, what do you think would have happened had Saddam been removed from power back in 1991?

starman

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Connecticut
You think that the Iraqi Army is still going to get disbanded in this scenario?
In order to oust Saddam US forces would have to go to Baghdad in the process destroying what was left of the army--at the same time the Shia were striving for independence.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In order to oust Saddam US forces would have to go to Baghdad in the process destroying what was left of the army--at the same time the Shia were striving for independence.
I thought that the Shiites wanted to rule all of Iraq rather than to acquire independence?