Saddest music you've heard

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Thought of this as a thread while listening to the theme from Schlindler's list, played by Ishtak Perlman. I was moved almost to tears.

Another piece I heard recently is Non Nobis, Domine, as sung in Branag'ss Henry V, which I recently watched for about the fifth time. (also includes Te Deum)

And Chopin's Nocturne in C sharp minor, played by Tiffany Poon, which is more wistful , than deeply sad. Probably sounds sadder when played in "The Pianist", an excellent film about one man's survival in the Holocaust

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
"01 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Requiem in D Minor 3rd Movement - Lacrymosa 02 Ludwig Van Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 14 in C Sharp Minor Op. 27 1st Movement 03 Evgeny Emelyanov - Rin (Epic Orchestral Emotional) 04 Erik Satie - Gnossienne No. 1 by Harpanddance Praful (Indian Flute) and Helvia Briggen (Harp) 05 Frédéric Chopin - Nocturne No. 20 in C Sharp Minor for Violin and Piano, Op. Posth. Arr. Milstein 06 Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings, Op. 11 by Leonard Bernstein 07 Clint Mansell - Requiem for a Dream - Main Theme 08 Yann Tiersen - Summer 78 09 Carl Orff - O Fortuna - Carmina Burana 10 Javier Navarrete - Pan's Labyrinth Theme - Long, Long Time Ago 11 Johann Sebastian Bach - Come, Sweet Death 12 Tomaso Albinoni - Adagio in G Minor 13 Erik Satie - Gymnopedie No 1 by Gerald Garcia & Orchestra 14 Zbigniew Preisner - Part One Requem - Lacrimosa 15 Ernesto Cortazar - Beethoven's Silence 16 Camille Saint-Saëns - Messe De Requiem, Op. 54 - Agnus Dei 17 Yann Tiersen - Sur Le Fil 18 Nicholas Hooper - Dumbledore's Farewell from Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince 19 Hans Zimmer - Landing Peleliu from The Pacific 20 Clint Mansell - The Last Man from The Fountain 21 Erik Satie - Gnossienne No. 3 by Julia Kent (Seul, Pendant Un Instant) 22 Nick Cave and Warren Ellis - Song For Bob from The Assassination of Jesse James"

The ultimate is from Chopin.

Last edited:
Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
@stevez

Wow, that's some list. I'm saving it , to check out some of the more exotic items, such as the Indian flute.

The funeral march; for some reason always thought that was written by Beethoven. At my age, funerals are becoming more regular as extended family and some friends start falling off their perch..-lost 2 friends in to cancer in the last 18 months.

I've never actually heard the Chopin march played at a funeral. I think people find it 'a bit morbid' . Yeah, I know, that''s the point. For Dad, at his request, at his funeral we had a good soprano singing 'Danny Boy'. I want upbeat Jazz. 'Danny Boy', is actually very sad; it's a lament . Don't think of that when listening to a first rate lyric tenor . (such as my dad)

My family tend to have a Reqiuem Mass, followed by a wake, where we sit around telling lies (blarney) about the deceased, followed by getting drunk, followed by the fight. An Irish wake is not considered a success unless the police attend.:rolleyes: (THAT"S blarney)

I left out bagpipes, as I think they can sound funereal playing "Happy Birthday".

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
^ There's quotes around the list. I took it from youtube. I asked for a list of sad songs, but many are simply beautiful pieces. The first movement of Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" (Piano Sonata 14) is there for example. If I were to choose one it would be Chopin's Funeral March since it's so associated with grief. Bagpipes add a new dimension to sad music. Britain's Prince Albert hated them and yet they built a home (Balmoral) in Scotland. Maybe he got used to them. The Queen didn't care but she preferred Mendelsshon.

BTW are you of Irish ancestry by any chance? I'm 1/4 Irish and they like upbeat music at funerals along with liquid nourishment.

Last edited:

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
Thought of this as a thread while listening to the theme from Schlindler's list, played by Ishtak Perlman. I was moved almost to tears.
In particular, this scene and music:

I have visited the place, seen the stairs leading to Hades. I've seen the ashes, still around in puddles where they used to lay them, and the blown up gas chambers and crematoria. It's not merely the music that is sad, the place itself is the saddest on Earth.

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
Although mentioned, can't resist posting the clip for Lacrimosa:

And since Te Deum was also mentioned, the monastic version:

Sadness is not the primary emotion that Gregorian chants evoke in me, but it is there for sure.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
@stevev

Thanks

Well, yes, as it turns out ; my father's people were from Clare, leaving for South Australia in 1870 . Mum's were from Galway, leaving about the same time, for Canada. On Dad;s side, both parents and grand parents were also Irish .On Mum's, there were some protestants from the North. We didn't talk about them.(truly)

I listened to a lot of Irish folk music in the 1970's; especially the Clancy brothers and Tommy Makem. In the 1980's had friends who had a folk music group. My then wife and I also liked Clannad , even though neither of us understands Gaelic.

A little while ago, I stumbled onto the clip below on Youtube, and was reminded how bloody depressing Irish music can be. I'd forgotten

Similar History Discussions