Saddest music you've heard

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
I think the saddest musician I've ever listened to is Ian Curtis, a sadness that costed him his life. His group, Joy Division, released some genuine masterpieces, if one can stomach the morbid, dark atmosphere of desolation and desperation.

From "Unknown Pleasures" 1979

From "Closer" 1980

I used to listen to Joy Division a lot in my teens, I find that I can't anymore. Especially "Closer", which, without a doubt, is the most depressing record I've ever listened to, each song sadder than the next.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
I used to listen to Joy Division a lot in my teens, I find that I can't anymore. Especially "Closer", which, without a doubt, is the most depressing record I've ever listened to, each song sadder than the next.
The wistfulness of unfilled dreams, and the often deep sadness of unrequited love, I can manage. Can't manage the despair which can come from the loss of love and/or the loss of hope. Hard enough to deal with such things oneself. No point in looking for it from others.

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
The wistfulness of unfilled dreams, and the often deep sadness of unrequited love, I can manage. Can't manage the despair which can come from the loss of love and/or the loss of hope. Hard enough to deal with such things oneself. No point in looking for it from others.
Very true, I feel the same way.

Yeah, I think it's a very personal thing.

I mean, a Mozart minuet moved me to tears. I'm also moved by the Chopin Nocturne in C minor.

Perhaps it's like odours, which can be very evocative. I think that's why nostalgia radio stations are so popular; I hear a song, and think"I was doing so-and-such or indeed, what's her name"

I couldn't listen to "Ferry Across The Mersey' For over a decade without feeling sad; it reminded me my 'first love',which ended.

This week I've been watching more Irish folk music clips on Youtube. Still think it can be depressing. Others may find it trite or maudlin.
From what I've heard, I find Irish folk music uplifting (generally speaking) with a few exceptions, like the "Fields of Athenry". It is of course a very personal thing, as you said. For example, I find "Dirty Old Town" to be sad, not downright depressing, but sad. And strangely captivating. I think it's the sharp antithesis of love and life set in the grim industrial background that it describes. And perhaps, in the back of my mind, I feel a sadness for the illness and premature death of Luke Kelly, such a passionate and lively voice.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
For me, Simon & Garfunkel's Sound of Silence, Bob Dylan's Times They Are Changing, ABBA's The Winner Takes It All and a lot of European folk music ( the folk song Ko so fantje proti vasi šli is such an example).

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
For me, Simon & Garfunkel's Sound of Silence, Bob Dylan's Times They Are Changing, ABBA's The Winner Takes It All and a lot of European folk music ( the folk song Ko so fantje proti vasi šli is such an example).
We actually studied "Sounds Of Silence' as poetry when I was in about year 9. My teacher thought he was cool . In this one instance, he was.

I liked some of Bob Dylan ,such as "Positively 4th Street" and "Don't Think Twice" but not a big fan. At that time ,for me, it was all about The Beatles and The Stones. I can't tell you how disappointed I was when Mick Jagger accepted a knighthood.:lol:

Interesting you mentioned ABBA, who I still listen to regularly. (I think "Dancing Queen'" is one of the most perfect pop songs ever written)

Yes,,"Winner Takes It All "is sad.. However, I think ' Knowing me, Knowing You', with its air of inevitability is arguably sadder

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
We actually studied "Sounds Of Silence' as poetry when I was in about year 9. My teacher thought he was cool . In this one instance, he was.

I liked some of Bob Dylan ,such as "Positively 4th Street" and "Don't Think Twice" but not a big fan. At that time ,for me, it was all about The Beatles and The Stones. I can't tell you how disappointed I was when Mick Jagger accepted a knighthood.:lol:

Interesting you mentioned ABBA, who I still listen to regularly. (I think "Dancing Queen'" is one of the most perfect pop songs ever written)

Yes,,"Winner Takes It All "is sad.. However, I think ' Knowing me, Knowing You', with its air of inevitability is arguably sadder
I was never big on Dylan. I think that's the only song of his I know. I listen more to band like Queen and the transition era to early rock n roll in the 50s. The Platters is probably what I listen to the most. And various European folk music.

I like ABBA a lot. A lot if their songs can be interpreted as either happy or sad. They have this Scandinavian melancholy, which I can appreciate and it really depends on your mood how you perceive their music.

Similiar History Discussions History Forum Date
Culture / Arts
Military History
General History
General History

Similar History Discussions