Samogitia | The Last European Region That Accepted Christianity

Sep 2019
Latgale
Here is an interesting story about the tribe of Samogitians that held the expansion of Teutonic Order for 200 years and kept their pagan traditions alive.

MOD EDIT: Video removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
We do not allow the use of Historum solely to gain views.

Once you have shown yourself to be an active, participating member of the community, you will have earned the right to post these videos.

May 2019
Earth
I'm not sure they were the "last" European region to accept Christianity. Pretty sure the Mari, Nenets, and Sami were still not "officially" Christianized at the time of Samogitia's baptism in the early 15th century. The Samogitians did hold out for a while though considering all that pressure from the Crusades...

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
I'm not sure they were the "last" European region to accept Christianity. Pretty sure the Mari, Nenets, and Sami were still not "officially" Christianized at the time of Samogitia's baptism in the early 15th century. The Samogitians did hold out for a while though considering all that pressure from the Crusades...
Aren't the Mari in Europe and still a high percentage pagan?

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
Aren't the Mari in Europe and still a high percentage pagan?
Indigenous paganism still exists in Europe? I'm not talking about New Age "pagan" revivalism. I am talking about actual, traditional paganism that never entirely disappeared.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Indigenous paganism still exists in Europe? I'm not talking about New Age "pagan" revivalism. I am talking about actual, traditional paganism that never entirely disappeared.
Among the Sami, I think that there is still some traditional paganism.

Reactions: Swamp Booger