Sao, Kanem-Bornu and Garamantes

May 2015
Germany
Regarding the Garamantes, the article cited is probably outdated and is possibly even based on misinterpretations of skeletal measurements. I am not aware of any evidence for when admixture occurred or with which groups. I don't think any study has found that out.
Sergi's theories are confirmed by recent anthropological research: (PDF) Life and death at Fewet (pages 383-384)

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
Sergi's theories are confirmed by recent anthropological research: (PDF) Life and death at Fewet (pages 383-384)
Yeah, I've read that article before. Does that really prove his particular theories (about black admixture being "recent")? Apart from the fact that those things mentioned in those pages would be pretty thin as evidence, one of the underlying assumptions seems questionable to me.

Jan 2018
Yopaw
Dierk Lange's earlier work on Kanem-Bornu was clearly excellent (in particular his books Le Diwan des sultans du Kanem-Bornu: chronologie et histoire d'un royaume africain and A Sudanic chronicle : the Borno expeditions of Idrīs Alauma), but as I have mentioned on this forum before (in the "The Diversity of African Architecture" thread, when I mentioned some of the deficiencies of H.R. Palmer's book The Bornu Sahara and Sudan, where some similar misleading word associaions can be found), some of his later work amounts to speculation based on extremely thin linguistic arguments.
Yes, he has been criticized by many for his use of "haphazard etymology". However, this article doesn't just use those thin linguistic arguments, but a lot of oral traditions, and when you put those "thin linguistic arguments" in the context of the local traditions and rituals that he mentions, you have a strong argument. What flaws do you see in this particular paper that I used as a source?

Regarding the Garamantes, the article cited is probably outdated and is possibly even based on misinterpretations of skeletal measurements. I am not aware of any evidence for when admixture occurred or with which groups. I don't think any study has found that out.
Sergi claims to have found Negroid skeletons only in the more recent burials.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions