Scary and Shocking Environmental Report

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Just about every one of my news feeds today has a article about this report released that projects the extinction of up to 1 million species within decades due to human activities and environmental destruction. Only the conclusions have been released from the global assessment report, which will not be published in full until later this year.

I've included a link to one of the articles.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shocking New Report On Loss Of Nature Paints A Terrifying Picture For The Future Of Humanity

Up to 1 million species are at risk of extinction.

Planet Earth has been put on red alert by hundreds of leading scientists who have warned that humanity faces an existential threat within decades if the steep decline of nature is not reversed.
The conclusions of the greatest-ever stock-taking of the living world, published on Monday, show that ecosystems and wild populations are shrinking, deteriorating or vanishing completely, and up to 1 million species of land and marine life could be made extinct by humans’ actions if present trends continue.
Food, pollination, clean water and a stable climate all depend on a thriving plant and animal population. But forests and wetlands are being erased worldwide and oceans are under growing stress, says the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES), the United Nations’ expert nature panel, in the landmark global assessment report. The three-year study, compiled by nearly 500 scientists, analyzed around 15,000 academic studies that focused on everything from plankton and fish to bees, coral, forests, frogs and insects, as well as drawing on indigenous knowledge.

Shocking New Report On Loss Of Nature Paints A Terrifying Picture For The Future Of Humanity | HuffPost

Aug 2012
No one will care, and no one will do anything about it. Now, if it was a crisis involving single unwed mothers or violent video games, then by God something would happen. But the environment? It doesn't ring as sharply with the pompous Sunday School crowd, so it's not really a priority.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
No one will care, and no one will do anything about it. Now, if it was a crisis involving single unwed mothers or violent video games, then by God something would happen. But the environment? It doesn't ring as sharply with the pompous Sunday School crowd, so it's not really a priority.
No? You don't think those massive climate change protests in London show that people care? Or the global protests by schoolchildren?

For heaven's sakes, the climate change group is even called "Extinction Rebellion"!

Reactions: Futurist

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
"Noone" seems lately to refer more to "none of us old jaded ones".

I'm looking (and admiring) kids that for months now are out every Thursday. Sometimes thousands, sometimes dozens, but still doing it, be it sunny, rainy.

And they came with a magnificent saying:

"There isn't a planet B"

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Human species is particular ...

Romans destroyed the great European forests and nobody is still claiming about this.

We caused the extinction of Neanderthals and with a good certainty of other human like species ... but we don't care: are you going to mourn Neanderthals? I don't think so.

The human species is expensive for the biosphere of the planet, no way. We are going to cause some further mass extinctions. Just using internet ... do you want to save, let's say, 1,000 species? Stop using internet. Facebook web firms obtain energy from carbon power plants [imagine how is Facebook polluting!]. Are we going to renounce to Facebook? Are we sure that Historum doesn't enjoy the same source of energy?

This was to say ... let's not be idealists ... reality exists.

Reactions: Futurist

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Human species is particular ...

Romans destroyed the great European forests and nobody is still claiming about this.

We caused the extinction of Neanderthals and with a good certainty of other human like species ... but we don't care: are you going to mourn Neanderthals? I don't think so.

The human species is expensive for the biosphere of the planet, no way. We are going to cause some further mass extinctions. Just using internet ... do you want to save, let's say, 1,000 species? Stop using internet. Facebook web firms obtain energy from carbon power plants [imagine how is Facebook polluting!]. Are we going to renounce to Facebook? Are we sure that Historum doesn't enjoy the same source of energy?

This was to say ... let's not be idealists ... reality exists.
Yes, let be realistic. The studies mentioned in the OP arrived at the conclusion that such a mass extinction never existed in Earth's known history.

I liked a comment on the studies' conclusions: if we would be the landlords of the "Earth house", we would have thrown out long ago (and sued) the tenants for their behavior.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Yes, let be realistic. The studies mentioned in the OP arrived at the conclusion that such a mass extinction never existed in Earth's known history.

I liked a comment on the studies' conclusions: if we would be the landlords of the "Earth house", we would have thrown out long ago (and sued) the tenants for their behavior.
I'm accepting the studies' conclusions. I recognize that we are causing a mass extinction. My personal opinion [note that I'm posting as a common Historumite here] is that it's natural. Human species has caused extinctions and we are going to cause further extinctions.

The alternative is to renounce to our beloved modernity. I remember the myth of "Arcadia" and the good savage ... the pivotal question is: is it really possible to make such an utopia real in our modern world?

Mar 2019
Kansas
Just about every one of my news feeds today has a article about this report released that projects the extinction of up to 1 million species within decades due to human activities and environmental destruction. Only the conclusions have been released from the global assessment report, which will not be published in full until later this year.
I know this will sound controversial but there really isn't much to worry about. The loss of diversity is far less important than the loss of bio mass. Nature has bounced back from far worse than we are inflicting, and in a surprisingly quick time.

The environment will hit a critical point. Completely collapse, take us with it. And planet Earth will be back to business within a 1000 years of our passing.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I know this will sound controversial but there really isn't much to worry about. The loss of diversity is far less important than the loss of bio mass. Nature has bounced back from far worse than we are inflicting, and in a surprisingly quick time.

The environment will hit a critical point. Completely collapse, take us with it. And planet Earth will be back to business within a 1000 years of our passing.
At the end I think something similar: we are natural. Mankind isn't unnatural, it's natural and a biosphere tends to an equilibrium in the long term. It's really probable that nature will reach an equilibrium and since the human species is natural ... we will be part of that equilibrium ... of course after some mass extinctions!