Scary and Shocking Environmental Report

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
No? You don't think those massive climate change protests in London show that people care? Or the global protests by schoolchildren?

For heaven's sakes, the climate change group is even called "Extinction Rebellion"!
"Noone" seems lately to refer more to "none of us old jaded ones".

I'm looking (and admiring) kids that for months now are out every Thursday. Sometimes thousands, sometimes dozens, but still doing it, be it sunny, rainy.

And they came with a magnificent saying:

"There isn't a planet B"
It's a bit ironic that the Left who is so anti-global warming might also be very pro-immigration. Moving a lot of people from the Third World to the First World--while significantly improving their lives--also helps contribute to global warming as a result of the much higher carbon emissions that these people are going to generate after they will move to the First World.

Mar 2019
Kansas
It's a bit ironic that the Left who is so anti-global warming might also be very pro-immigration. Moving a lot of people from the Third World to the First World--while significantly improving their lives--also helps contribute to global warming as a result of the much higher carbon emissions that these people are going to generate after they will move to the First World.
I am not sure I am following that logic. If an immigrant moves to a country reducing its carbon footprint would not that immigrant be adopting whatever energy technology that country is implementing.

botully

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Amelia, Virginia, USA
This is one of the great contradictions. We can lower fertility rates...probably...but we will still have grown another 50% in 80 yrs. In the 1950s, Lagos, Nigeria had a population of about 300,000. now it's about 20 million, and is expected to double again in 20 years. Look at the city as it is, now imagine twice as many people. They're not farming, which means they need work. What will they do? Make things to sell. Since they can't sell enough locally, they must export. This is the magic, and apparently curse, of increased globalism. Products are cheaper than ever, making them more accessible, yet also increasing consumption and waste. Yet these people need the work. Without it, things quickly turn horrifying.
Unintended consequences are real. A few years ago, some "sweatshops" were closed due to outrage (boycotts, canceled orders amd such) over child labor. Great, except families actually needed the money, no alternatives. So the children were forced (by circumstance) to take more dangerous jobs, even sex work. Things are so interconnected now, it's hard to know what's actually best.

Mar 2019
Kansas
. Great, except families actually needed the money, no alternatives. So the children were forced (by circumstance) to take more dangerous jobs, even sex work. Things are so interconnected now, it's hard to know what's actually best.
Well maybe the company making the product should have cut into their obscene profit margin and paid an adult to do the job.

botully

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Amelia, Virginia, USA
Well maybe the company making the product should have cut into their obscene profit margin and paid an adult to do the job.
A whole bunch of stuff needs to happen first, or else our company will no longer make obscene profits; another less scrupulous company will, perhaps in a country lower down on the development meter. I don't know that the "developing world" will look like 1950's America with the high paying union manufacturing jobs, whatever happens.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I am not sure I am following that logic. If an immigrant moves to a country reducing its carbon footprint would not that immigrant be adopting whatever energy technology that country is implementing.
They certainly could, but if a country lowers its per capita emissions by 10% and has its total population grow by 20% during the same time, then this country is still cumulatively going to have more emissions than it had before due to it having more people. As in, the population growth could more than cancel out any per capita emission reductions that occur.

Oct 2013
Europix
Isn't that slightly stereotypical, my friend?

I mean, is the "leftism" moving people around the world?

Is "leftism" what brings the kids in the streets?

Not to say that Christianism is based on the story of a refugee family, the lead role in the story being held by a social justice warrior, isn't it?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Isn't that slightly stereotypical, my friend?

I mean, is the "leftism" moving people around the world?

Is "leftism" what brings the kids in the streets?

Not to say that Christianism is based on the story of a refugee family, the lead role in the story being held by a social justice warrior, isn't it?
What do you mean by "brings the kids in the streets"?

As for your general point here, I get the impression that the right is more pro-immigration restrictionism than the left is. It's certainly true here in the US. There is no left-wing equivalent to VDare.com, for instance.

Oct 2013
Europix
What do you mean by "brings the kids in the streets"? ...
The schoolkids manifesting for climate, against the political indifference towards climate related issues.

...As for your general point here, I get the impression that the right is more pro-immigration restrictionism than the left is. It's certainly true here in the US. There is no left-wing equivalent to VDare.com, for instance.
My question remains: is the "leftist" ideology making those millions and millions of people trying to leave their lands?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The schoolkids manifesting for climate, against the political indifference towards climate related issues.
Yep:

Greta Thunberg - Wikipedia

My question remains: is the "leftist" ideology making those millions and millions of people trying to leave their lands?
No; rather, it's the hope and promise of a better life. It's similar to what motivated several million Blacks to leave the Southern US in the 20th century in order to escape Jim Crow and take advantage of better economic opportunities in other parts of the US.

Similar History Discussions