Scary and Shocking Environmental Report

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
...No; rather, it's the hope and promise of a better life. It's similar to what motivated several million Blacks to leave the Southern US in the 20th century in order to escape Jim Crow and take advantage of better economic opportunities in other parts of the US.
Sometimes it isn't even about a better life but just about life. Now, as so many times before, "leftism" or other ideologies hasn't a lot to do with it.

(check a bit what's happening these days in Sudan, for example).

Reactions: Futurist

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
It's a bit ironic that the Left who is so anti-global warming might also be very pro-immigration. Moving a lot of people from the Third World to the First World--while significantly improving their lives--also helps contribute to global warming as a result of the much higher carbon emissions that these people are going to generate after they will move to the First World.
If you’ve think there’s been a lot of immigration from the Third to the First then wait and see how much movement of people there will be if global warming makes a large proportion of the world uninhabitable.

botully

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Amelia, Virginia, USA
Recently the UN secretary-general António Guetteres was in Tuvalu, an Island, a state that is sinking, like the planet. The Time Magazine published in the front page a good photography:

Source: The Leaders of These Sinking Countries Are Fighting to Stop Climate Change
It takes a bit of creative searching for someone curious about “sinking islands” to find any cause other than climate change. Not that rising sea levels don’t threaten low islands; of course they do.
However, even if we could somehow end human carbon emissions immediately, even if none of it ever happened, even so, these islands would sink. That’s what they do. They are always temporary, geologically speaking. The rate varies, of course, and storms and such take their toll. Still, they can sink at a rate of several mm a year, all by themselves.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
They are always temporary, geologically speaking.
You know that geologically speaking everything is temporary. Generalising, everything is temporary, you, me, mankind, our planet.

But as you also say “rate varies”. And that is relevant.

If rate was not relevant, as I am goind to die, it woudn’t be a crime to muder me. After all I am going to die anyway,

But as you say “rate varies”. And the “how” it dies is also relevant. Don’t you think?