Scary and Shocking Environmental Report

Fox

Ad Honorem
Oct 2011
Korea
People can protest and cry out against injustice all they please, but if they go back to a heated home, throw away a bunch of trash along with half of their food, and take an hour long shower, it doesn't really matter.
Right, and even if they go and buy "carbon offsets" for those things, that's not particularly adequate, since they could be buying "carbon offsets" on top of not burning fuel for (biologically) unnecessary heat, or consuming wastefully, or so forth. If you're in a sinking boat and water is leaking in, merely saying, "Well, I've bailed out my share of the water; I'm water neutral," means very little when you could be bailing more than your "share" and making up for those who are either incapable of doing more, or unwilling to do more. saying, "It's fine for me to zip around in a private jet, because I paid to have a forest planted somewhere," simply isn't adequate if one truly believes there's a pressing global issue. Doubly so given "carbon offset" programs are moderately suspicious from the start. Planting trees, for example, seems to have a complicated relationship with emissions: it's true that while growing, the tree absorbs some carbon from the atmosphere, but trees eventually die and end up releasing a lot of that back into the atmosphere (to say nothing about the possibility of forest fires), and they also influence the albedo of a given area, which itself can interact with how much heat from the sun is reflected or absorbed, all of which means there's at least some case to be made that planting trees isn't a sound solution in all cases.

That's not to say that all "carbon offsets" are intrinsically defective, of course, simply that they aren't necessarily as effective as intuition would suggest, and that even when they are, they don't really justify additional luxury consumption if one takes the prevailing view on climate change at face value.

Angelica

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Angel City
Definitely seeing the affect of climate change in the Caribbean hurricanes are getting worse. We are experiencing hailstorms this rarely occurred of course these can be attributed to climate change. Unless we become archaic I don't see us turning back to prevent further damage. This is the result of a modern society unfortunately we are not turning back. At best we can slow it down yet the evitable will occur hopefully in the far distant future.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
One million species at risk of extinction sounds awful, but what is an acceptable rate of extinction and how do we decide which species get to survive and which ones die out?
IMHO that sums up very well the problem: it sounds like if we're in Noah's position, without the possibility to build the ark.

Only that we're not in Noah's position. We're in Cain's position.

After years of opposition, the plan to build a third runway at Heathrow was finally agreed upon last year. Extinction Rebellion wish to protest that decision by shutting down the airport on June 18th, with a possible view to shutting down the airport for the first two weeks in July if their demands aren't met, although some group members are wary of pissing off the public.

Extinction Rebellion considers using drones to shut Heathrow Airport - Reuters

botully

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Amelia, Virginia, USA
Yes, let be realistic. The studies mentioned in the OP arrived at the conclusion that such a mass extinction never existed in Earth's known history.
Actually, they specifically said human history, not known history.
Both links provided are to essentially the same text, a brief summary of alarming bullet points.
As usual, no solutions are offered, since given the list of contributing causes, there are none.

What’s the solution for the huge increase in global trade? Less trade? Does that seem realistic?

When I was a kid, there were less than 1 billion people on the planet. How many now? How many in 20 years? 50? What’s the solution for the exponential population growth? How do we reconcile the needs of, say, 20 billion people with the problem of urban growth and expanding agriculture?

I do think that convincing children that unless something utterly impossible happens the planet dies is a mistake.

botully

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Amelia, Virginia, USA
Going from point a to point b at 50 miles an hour wasn't realistic for almost the entirety history of human kind. Now it's nothing special.

Often, unrealistic remains unrealistic till someone doesn't think so ... and makes it real.
So all we need to do, in the next few years, is invent something that solves overpopulation and energy.

If the problem is as immediate and dire as the articles claim, I don’t think “wave magic wand and make a wish” is going to help much.
What solution are the London schoolchildren proposing? Something good, I hope.

Oct 2013
Europix
So all we need to do, in the next few years, is invent something that solves overpopulation and energy.

If the problem is as immediate and dire as the articles claim, I don’t think “wave magic wand and make a wish” is going to help much.
What solution are the London schoolchildren proposing? Something good, I hope.
We don't have necessarily to invent. We can start with reasoning.

I'm not sure if it's that difficult to find a solution to importing pavement stone from India and China in Germany when there's a source of pavement stone at 20 km. For example.

Or You can think that the school's swimming pool needs being heating, and school's servers needs cooling, make the logical deduction: use the pool for cooling the servers. Another example.

Similar History Discussions