Scientists detect water on exoplanet

Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Scientists have detected water in the atmosphere of an exoplanet for the first time.

K2-18b is 111 light years away.
Water found for first time on 'habitable' planet

Within a few years, telescopes may be powerful enough to detect biomarkers in atmospheres to determine if life is present.
We will still need warp speed for it to affect our lives (unless they get warp speed first)! :eek:

Mar 2019
Kansas
Oct 2015
California
The planet is still too big for human habitation even if we could get there with a warp drive engine. The gravitational pressure alone would be too uncomfortable. But it would be interesting to see the kind of native species that might have evolved there if it has life. Imagine a 130 lbs astronaut weighing 830 lbs on that planet.

Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
If the Chinese sci-fic writer Jiang Bo is correct, we will be way off in time period if we go warp speed!
Warp speed is used by cosmologists to explain "inflation" in the the first second of the Big Bang. Otherwise the whole theory doesn't work. So I assume it's real. By "warp" it means it warps space-time itself which is allowed. We are not traveling in space-time but stretching it somehow. I understand that if you go faster than light this way, you don't have the the time reversal. So say warp111 +/- , x c to get there in a few hours. If you think that's crazy, cosmic inflation was almost instantaneous if you accept the theory which most cosmologists do.

Last edited:
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Warp speed is used by cosmologists to explain "inflation" in the the first second of the Big Bang. Otherwise the whole theory doesn't work. So I assume it's real. By "warp" it means it warps space-time itself which is allowed. We are not traveling in space-time but stretching it somehow. I understand that if you go faster than light this way, you don't have the the time reversal. However if you do, than we set warp speeds at even warps (2, 4, 6,....) For 111 ly, we could set the warp at say 11,112 x c to get us there in a few hours. If you think that's crazy, cosmic inflation was almost instantaneous if you accept the theory which most cosmologists do.
Well, if we want to produce a warp engine working like the inflation of the universe we should find a way to reproduce the quantum inflaton field [a field with great zero point energy] which generated [according to the theory] a not standard cosmological constant [de fact the inflaton field acted instead of the constant we observe today]. Some scientists explain the existence of this quantum field saying that a phase of quantum transition caused the delay of the spontanous break of the symmetry of the forces. The problem here is that such a break has happened, so that we would be able to create a kind of math space where to cause a similar quantum transition phase.

But, as for I know, scientists are thinking to gravitation and negative energy to generate a warp effect.

Similar History Discussions