Scientists detect water on exoplanet

Mar 2018
UK
Warp speed is used by cosmologists to explain "inflation" in the the first second of the Big Bang. Otherwise the whole theory doesn't work. So I assume it's real. By "warp" it means it warps space-time itself which is allowed. We are not traveling in space-time but stretching it somehow. I understand that if you go faster than light this way, you don't have the the time reversal. So say warp111 +/- , x c to get there in a few hours. If you think that's crazy, cosmic inflation was almost instantaneous if you accept the theory which most cosmologists do.
That is not how inflation works at all. It's just a rapidly expanding universe shortly after the big bang for a brief interval. A full explanation of it is far beyond what I can type on here during my morning commute, but suffice to say for he present context that I've never heard any cosmologist, astrophysicist or field theorist describe it as "warp" in any way shape or form, or suggest it can be used as a way of travelling faster.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
That is not how inflation works at all. It's just a rapidly expanding universe shortly after the big bang for a brief interval. A full explanation of it is far beyond what I can type on here during my morning commute, but suffice to say for he present context that I've never heard any cosmologist, astrophysicist or field theorist describe it as "warp" in any way shape or form, or suggest it can be used as a way of travelling faster.
The most "realistic" [there are theoretical considerations which make it not that "realistic"] way to obtain a warp system, as for I know, is the one suggested by Alcubierre. And the mechanism is based on the alteration of the spacetime contracting it in front of the space ship and distending it behind it.

Jul 2016
Dengie Peninsula
The light from this "planet" left there in 1909! That is what our telescopes / Hubble etc. are looking at. If we wanted to "nip" over there and see what is going on, it would take mankind 110 years to get there if we went at the speed of light. This would, of course mean taking attractive female astronauts and indeed, attractive male astronauts in order to procreate on the way there. Unless , we can obviate the speed of light. It should be possible as light is not a constant, (Black holes tell us that)
Still onwards and upwards.
Klingons on the starboard bow, Captain?

Sep 2016
Georgia
Accepting that we are "alone", that we are not a poor grain of sand without interest, but the jewel of the universe, will be a real new copernician revolution.
I'm pretty sure you are going to be disappointed and Religion will receive the biggest blow in history.

Mar 2018
UK
I have to say, I'm slightly disappointed by the prevalent attitude (here, as much as elsewhere) of "It's so far away, therefore of no direct impact to us, therefore why should I care?" Since when do things have to be useful/impactful to be interesting or important? Knowledge and understanding for their own sake are both worth perusing and both worth celebrating! Deciphering linear A would be precisely no impact on the every day life of anyone at all (expect, I guess, for those working in that field), but it would be tremendously exciting none the less.

Sep 2016
Georgia
I have to say, I'm slightly disappointed by the prevalent attitude (here, as much as elsewhere) of "It's so far away, therefore of no direct impact to us, therefore why should I care?" Since when do things have to be useful/impactful to be interesting or important? Knowledge and understanding for their own sake are both worth perusing and both worth celebrating! Deciphering linear A would be precisely no impact on the every day life of anyone at all (expect, I guess, for those working in that field), but it would be tremendously exciting none the less.
I believe that if we discover even some alien microorganisms, it is going to have impact on everyday life and especially on religious beliefs.

Mar 2018
UK
If we wanted to "nip" over there and see what is going on, it would take mankind 110 years to get there if we went at the speed of light. This would, of course mean taking attractive female astronauts and indeed, attractive male astronauts in order to procreate on the way there.
You don't need to breed to get there. If you go at, for example, 95% the speed of light, time dilation means that only ~34 years passes for those on board.

It should be possible as light is not a constant, (Black holes tell us that)
The speed of light in a vacuum is most certainly a constant (up to all known physics), whether it is near black holes or not. I have absolutely no idea why you think black holes contradict this at all. It is certainly impossible (up to all known physics) to go faster than this speed.

It's always good to discuss these sorts of things, but maybe we should be a little bit more aware that general relativity (and even just special relativity) is hard, that an intuition based on a couple of newspaper articles is no where near enough to even have a superficial understanding of it, and we should try to avoid falling into the Dunning-Kruger trap.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
The speed of light is so constant that it allows us to calculate the "diameter" of a black hole ... actually this means that we can calculate the diameter of the region of space under the event horizon which is the distant from the central singularity where the escape velocity is equal to "c".

Nov 2016
Germany
Water alone is not enough as a basis for life on a planet. Another condition is a sufficiently strong magnetic field of the planet to deflect destructive solar winds. The solar winds in our solar system are extremely strong, they extend beyond the orbit of Pluto. Without a magnetic field, our planet would be a desert.

Exoplanet Magnetic Fields --"Harbingers of Life or Death in the Universe" | The Daily Galaxy

Scientists from the ANU Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics modeled the magnetic fields of exoplanets—planets beyond our solar system—and found very few have a magnetic field as strong as Earth.

1568291696917.png

Our sun itself creates a protective shield (Heliosphere) around the solar system with its magnetic field and the solar winds, which protects our solar system from harmful cosmic radiation.

1568292021268.png

Sun's Magnetic Shield May Be a Bubble, Not Comet-Shaped

The sun is constantly releasing energized particles, called the solar wind, which flow through the solar system out to well past Neptune's orbit. The solar wind and sun's extended magnetic field, together called the heliosphere, act as a protective bubble around the solar system and shield it from cosmic rays. The heliosphere stretches 23 billion miles (37 billion km) across, and the sun carries the whole assembly with it as it moves through interstellar space, NASA officials said in a statement.

Last edited:
Reactions: HardtackJuniper
Mar 2019
Kansas
I believe that if we discover even some alien microorganisms, it is going to have impact on everyday life and especially on religious beliefs.
I am not aware of any of the major faiths who have specific doctrine regarding life outside of Earth.

Reactions: Abraham95