Scientists detect water on exoplanet

Mar 2019
Kansas
Following this, why do all religions think that their sayings apply only to Earth? Or, Am i going off topic?
Because any communication between a higher being and its acolytes on Earth has to be in human terms. Perhaps dolphins have similar communications, and their holy books would be written in dolphin terms.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Yes, let's not transform an astronomical debate about esobiology into a theologian dissertation ...

This said, life requires not a few "ingredients", but sure the presence of liquid water is a good starting condition [it means that the temperatures on the planet are ok for the development of life as we know it on large scale ... also on Earth life can exist in extreme conditions, but on little scale, so with scarce statistical opportunities to develop superior species].

Then as said, a nice magnetic field is needed as protection.

but we can add also a not too elliptical orbit. The presence of one or two moons helps as well: they tend to become targets for asteroids reducing the bombardment in the early phases of development of a planet. But about this opinions are different. An inclined axes [so seasons] seems to be more suitable. Then ... dimensions: the force of gravity has to be at least around the one on Mars and not above 2G or big animals won't exist out of water [carbon structures have got their natural operative limits]. Finally the pressure of the atmosphere. Remember Venus: it would be really similar to Earth without that hell of atmosphere.

Sep 2013
France
Agreed. The existence or non-existence of extraterrestrial life is a completely indifferent matter with regard to religion.
Catholic doctrine talks about the eventuality of other forms of life in the universe (Catechism of the Catholic Church). No problem with that. AFAIK, the Vatican has an astronomic research center.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
However Venus has no tectonic processes, nor a magnetic field. So the chances of their even being water present is highly doubtful :(
True, probes have found out that the planet has got a very weak magnetic field, but it's not generated by its core: it the result of the interaction of the solar wind with the ionosphere [and it's so weak to be irrelevant]. But Venus is anyway an extreme case [even if there are projects to terraform it].

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
I have to say, I'm slightly disappointed by the prevalent attitude (here, as much as elsewhere) of "It's so far away, therefore of no direct impact to us, therefore why should I care?" Since when do things have to be useful/impactful to be interesting or important? Knowledge and understanding for their own sake are both worth perusing and both worth celebrating! Deciphering linear A would be precisely no impact on the every day life of anyone at all (expect, I guess, for those working in that field), but it would be tremendously exciting none the less.
That seems to be the way of the world these days, "what's in it for me?" International news only makes the media when it may have an effect on the west.

Similar History Discussions