Scientists given green light to scan pyramids

cladking

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
exile
This is the same nonsense that's been going on for a quarter century now. Rather than doing the scientific tests and measurements that would determine why and how the great pyramids were built they are looking for the gold that history forgot.

This is the result of assuming that the builders dragged stones up ramps because they were superstitious bumpkins. As such the pyramids must be tombs and must be full of booty. Who needs science or data when you already have the answers? They are simply cutting to the chase and looking for gold.

May 2015
Sunderland
This is the same nonsense that's been going on for a quarter century now. Rather than doing the scientific tests and measurements that would determine why and how the great pyramids were built they are looking for the gold that history forgot.

This is the result of assuming that the builders dragged stones up ramps because they were superstitious bumpkins. As such the pyramids must be tombs and must be full of booty. Who needs science or data when you already have the answers? They are simply cutting to the chase and looking for gold.
Looking for gold or looking for whatever they find? Undiscovered chambers may indeed contain shiny stuff but of more interest would be papyrus records preserved in stone jars. Imhotep's cross section drawings and load bearing calculations would be worth all the gold I could eat.

Space Shark

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Redneck Country, AKA Texas

I'm pretty sure the pyramids were emptied of all their riches long ago. However, something like a missing papyrus might be in there somewhere.

paranoid marvin

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
uk
If it takes the promise of gold to get this done, then I'm fine with it. At the end of the day it seems to me that a lot of Egyptian archaeology has been about fortune (or fortune that comes from fame). And that's fine with me; treasure -hunting is exciting, discovering empty tombs isn't. But if a by-product of this treasure-hunting is finding out more about ancient Egypt, then that's a bonus

cladking

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
exile
Looking for gold or looking for whatever they find? Undiscovered chambers may indeed contain shiny stuff but of more interest would be papyrus records preserved in stone jars. Imhotep's cross section drawings and load bearing calculations would be worth all the gold I could eat.
Certainly these tests should be done. They'll show any major anomalies within the structure of the pyramid whether it's caused by a void or a high density region. But these tests are of very little importance relative to the testing and measurements that should be getting done. They should be doing microscopic forensics and infrared/ ultraviolet scanning. They should be identifying the source of the breeze in the Bent Pyramid and doing photographic analysis of G1. They should be repeating the gravimetric scanning on G1 since the first showed very important results and they should be running this on all the great pyramids. They should be doing basic chemical analyses of everything on the plateau including the ground water. There are a million real tests they could be doing to ascertain how and why the pyramids were built but instead they believe there's another chamber in G1 because of a superstitious book of fiction written 1000 years after the pyramid that can be interpreted to suggest there's more loot.

The sole motivation for these tests is to find gold but if they did any real science they just might find there was never any gold to start with. They just might find the pyramids weren't built by stinky footed bumpkins who needed a place to stash their gold and dead kings. They might just find that you can't build a pyramisd or reverse engineer one if you are highly superstitious.

cladking

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
exile
And that's fine with me; treasure -hunting is exciting, discovering empty tombs isn't. But if a by-product of this treasure-hunting is finding out more about ancient Egypt, then that's a bonus
I agree except that we don't know the first thing about ancient Egypt. There is no cultural context whatsoever because nothing that survives is comprehensible. We don't even know how the pyramids were built and the powers that be have never tried to reverse engineer them using modern technology.

There actually is something to find in G1, I believe, but it's too low in the structure to have enough particle penetration to show up on the transducers. Most of the particles have a very steep trajectory. It might show up in the audible sound frequencies or just below it but they won't do real science because they're too busy looking for gold.

May 2015
Sunderland
< Much intensity snipped for space >
The sole motivation for these tests is to find gold but if they did any real science they just might find there was never any gold to start with. They just might find the pyramids weren't built by stinky footed bumpkins who needed a place to stash their gold and dead kings. They might just find that you can't build a pyramisd or reverse engineer one if you are highly superstitious.
By 'stinky footed bumpkins' are you referring to the enormous labor force (Sans Israelites) the various Pharaoh's had at their disposal? If the Egyptian pyramids weren't built by Egyptians then who built them? Also who are 'the powers that be' to whom you refer and for what possible reason would anyone, either inside or outside of their minds, contemplate building another one?