Scrooge and the Ghost of Christmas to Come

Jul 2017
Memphis
Scrooge, IMHO, asked the ghost if the future could be changed and it turned out in the context
of the book it could.

What do you think? Am I right, or am I right?:)

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Scrooge, IMHO, asked the ghost if the future could be changed and it turned out in the context
of the book it could.

What do you think? Am I right, or am I right?:)
Well, Scrooge changed his ways as a result of a "dream" . Does that mean his future "changed"? Does a future that never happens exist? AFAIK there is no experiment to test for the existence of an alternative future which is an excellent reason to ignore the question.:halo:

Many-worlds interpretation - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Despite the obvious lack of communication from the last spirit (presumably to beef up the (short) story a bit) I think it's fairly clear that the future would be changed if Scrooge changed his behaviour. As it was he was on course to die a friendless man. But when he changed his ways his popularity went through the roof and so it would obviously change.

I think they are supposed to be ghosts - it's a story.

Not worth getting into the past/future thing too much as you end up wondering what would happen if you went back in time and killed your father.

Then you go mad!

Feb 2011
Scotland
One of Dickens' driving forces (aside from making a good living as a writer) was encouraging social reform and highlighting brutality and inequality.

His aim here was not a venture into metaphysics but to make people realise that they are not 'islands' without impact upon others; that everyone is part of humanity with influence upon it for the good of all.

Marley warmed Scrooge that he would be visited by ghosts who would attempt to prevent him suffering Marley's own fate. The fact that Scrooge has power to influence the future of himself and others around him is implicit. Of course, he does change, with consequences for Tiny Tim, Bob Cratchit and family and himself that we are aware of, and probably upon others also.

Sep 2014
Texas
But thank goodness we now have turkeys. Geese just don't do it for me!
however I do like the idea of a Christmas fund....lay away your Christmas Turkey today.. This was how poor people got their Christmas dinner and geese were plentiful and cheap. I have never eaten a goose, but I do like duck.

And Dickens according to the movie The Man who Saved Christmas with Dan Stevens, Mrs. Dickens was not a frugil woman, not to mention she was very fertile. I love the idea that the story was influenced by Irish paganism.

Similiar History Discussions History Forum Date
General History
General History
History Blogs
European History

Similar History Discussions