Second Italo-Ethiopian War

Jan 2013
Miami, Florida
I have a simple speculative questions for the Historumites. If somehow Emperor Selassie's army was a little more modern and they got sufficient military aid from the British, what do you think would happen if Ethiopia defeats Mussolini and Badoglio's troops? Personally, I believe that the Italians would be so embarrassed that they would try it again in 1941 at the same time they tried to invade Egypt. That's how much of a madman I believe Mussolini was.:evil:

May 2012
San Diego, CA
I have a simple speculative questions for the Historumites. If somehow Emperor Selassie's army was a little more modern and they got sufficient military aid from the British, what do you think would happen if Ethiopia defeats Mussolini and Badoglio's troops? Personally, I believe that the Italians would be so embarrassed that they would try it again in 1941 at the same time they tried to invade Egypt. That's how much of a madman I believe Mussolini was.:evil:

Hitler would understand how Italy was a weak state more earlier then the Greek disaster. Mussolini may not join the WW2 because of knowing that his army can't survive such a war( I know that his generals warned him but he insisted the warnings as France got fallen).

WeisSaul

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
New Amsterdam
I'd think the Ethiopians would have to cede the Somali regions and the rest of Europe would make Italy give up Assab if the Italians want their conquest recognized.

The Italians still look weak for failing to capture Ethiopia and Hitler laughs when they try to join the axis. Italy thus stays out of WW2 and has a free hand in Yugoslavia instead.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
European colonial system was based on diplomacy in that period, since there was no great interest in far and bloody wars among Empires.

"You don't touch my colonies, I don't touch yours"

This was substantially the base principal [and one of the reason why Italy was incredibly able to build a colonial empire].

If Italians lost that war, the British Empire would have taken over the region, without great efforts.

Jan 2013
Miami, Florida
Yeah, I think that Italy stays out of WW2. I also think that Britain would take Italian Somaliland.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Britain and France were trying to detach Italy from Germany, thus the allowed this Italian aggression. It was a real blow to "collective security" and the league of Nations.

Britian closes the Suez to Italian shipping, or sanctions with real teeth (oil) are applied and Italy is rebuffed.

It was a failure of "pragmatic" policy.