Mar 2015
Europe
Kipling said:
Who shall doubt the secret hid
Under Cheops´ Pyramid
Is that the contractor did
Cheops out of several millions?
Well, how many millions exactly?
Egypt had no money. Into New Kingdom, accounting was done in terms of grain.
Who, precisely, built Cheops´ Pyramid, and what WAS in his contract with Cheops?

The first Pyramid, that of Djoser, was built by Imhotep, and he´s become a god. A builder of Cheops´ Pyramid is not as famous. But is there a specific builder known of Cheops´ Pyramid?

There were several thousands of workers busy building Cheops´ Pyramid, for years. Many of them must have died. (Even if they were young and healthy, fit for work, and those who became old or disabled were sent home and buried elsewhere, a number would have died of short illnesses and accidents). What do graves of the workmen themselves who built Cheops´ Pyramid look like?
What are the graves of the leaders of the building project like? Do they have inscriptions specifying their job assignments at building Cheops´ Pyramid?

Deir-el-Medina that built the tombs of Valley of Kings had under 100 workers. And a foreman named Paneb was accused of a number of thefts.

Did the leading builders of Cheops´ Pyramid commit anything that Cheops would have regarded as theft/fraud?

Apr 2017
The Ancient World
My preliminary responses:

1. Perhaps the architect of the Great Pyramid is not known because he was merely the Pharaoh's minister. Another reason could be that because Imhotep was the first architect of such grant structures, the Great Pyramid was only a larger model or improvement, and all the glory went to the Pharaoh whose name it still bears.

2. I read somewhere that Egyptian workmen were treated very well for their efforts during construction: their pay was high, the food was better than usual, they had the best physicians and they retired early. This contradicts the lies of some Jews who believe their people built the pyramids as slaves. I am not certain whether graves were found, but I know that many bones of exotic and expensive animals were discovered at the quarters where the workmen resided.

3. There are ancient rolls that bear some information concerning the workmen of the Great Pyramid, but what they carry, I don't know.

4. I don't understand how Paneb in the Valley of the Kings relates to the architect of Cheops. The two men lived 1,000 years apart.

Mar 2015
Europe
Who, precisely, built Cheops´ Pyramid, and what WAS in his contract with Cheops?

The first Pyramid, that of Djoser, was built by Imhotep, and he´s become a god. A builder of Cheops´ Pyramid is not as famous. But is there a specific builder known of Cheops´ Pyramid?

What are the graves of the leaders of the building project like? Do they have inscriptions specifying their job assignments at building Cheops´ Pyramid?

Deir-el-Medina that built the tombs of Valley of Kings had under 100 workers. And a foreman named Paneb was accused of a number of thefts.

Did the leading builders of Cheops´ Pyramid commit anything that Cheops would have regarded as theft/fraud?
Turns out the contractor is known, and so is his grave.
One Hemiunu.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemiunu

cladking

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
exile
Originally Posted by Kipling
Who shall doubt the secret hid
Under Cheops´ Pyramid
Is that the contractor did
Cheops out of several millions?
Who is "Kipling"? What is his source for this?

Why are you asking?

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Who is "Kipling"? What is his source for this?

Why are you asking?
Forget it CK; the reference is to a poem by Rudyard Kipling, an English journalist, poet, and author from the late 1800's/early 1900's. He wrote the Jungle Book, The Man Who Would be King among many other things, including:

’E carried me away
To where a dooli lay,
An’ a bullet come an’ drilled the beggar clean.
’E put me safe inside,
An’ just before ’e died,
'I ’ope you liked your drink,’ sez Gunga Din.
So I’ll meet ’im later on
At the place where ’e is gone—
Where it’s always double drill and no canteen.
’E’ll be squattin’ on the coals
Givin’ drink to poor damned souls,
An’ I’ll get a swig in hell from Gunga Din!
Yes, Din! Din! Din!
You Lazarushian-leather Gunga Din!
Though I’ve belted you and flayed you,
By the livin’ Gawd that made you,
You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

Similar History Discussions