seeking a compilation of roman senatorial decrees (senata consulta) in english

Oct 2015
Virginia
Since nobody else has responded, and for what it's worth, I'll venture to say I don't think there is such a publication. At least I have not seen any such reference in secondary works.

A E Astin says in the CAH2 vol VIII pg 15, that most surviving texts of republican senate decrees are Greek translations on inscriptions from the Hellenistic area.

The examples of the form and text of senate "consulta" in A Lintott's "Constitution of the Roman Republic" pg 76 refer to inscriptions. viz: Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) CIL i2.588 and 581.

However, Astin and Lintott both refer to:
R K Sherk "Roman Documents From the Greek East"
This may be your best bet.(?)

Last edited:
Sep 2018
Florida
Since nobody else has responded, and for what it's worth, I'll venture to say I don't think there is such a publication. At least I have not seen any such reference in secondary works.

A E Astin says in the CAH2 vol VIII pg 15, that most surviving texts of republican senate decrees are Greek translations on inscriptions from the Hellenistic area.

The examples of the form and text of senate "consulta" in A Lintott's "Constitution of the Roman Republic" pg 76 refer to inscriptions. viz: Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) CIL i2.588 and 581.

However, Astin and Lintott both refer to:
R K Sherk "Roman Documents From the Greek East"
This may be your best bet.(?)
I would recommend the content in the above quote as well as this link:

https://droitromain.univ-grenoble-alpes.fr/ (The Roman Law Library, via Université Grenoble-Alpes)

Some do not have English translations yet, but I think it's worth a shot. Those that do have English translations can be found under "18. Lingua Anglica." Χαίρε :)

Last edited:
Oct 2015
Virginia
Excellent!
Coleman-Norton's (et al) "Ancient Roman Statutes" was also referred to in secondary sources, but I didn't know it included senate actions...and a senatus consultum is not a lex, right?

Last edited:
Mar 2017
Colorado
I would recommend the content in the above quote as well as this link:

https://droitromain.univ-grenoble-alpes.fr/ (The Roman Law Library, via Université Grenoble-Alpes)

Some do not have English translations yet, but I think it's worth a shot. Those that do have English translations can be found under "18. Lingua Anglica." Χαίρε :)
Thanks for this.

Google translate does a fair job with Greek. For Latin, there are cruder tools available, but I've been able to slog my way through texts with vague cobwebbed 40 yr old memories of grammar.

Translations in modern languages are handled well in Google translate ... well enough to get the meaning. I've done French, German, Spanish, & Italian.

I did Arabic once, too ... but that was cut&paste. I don't know that alphabet ... yet.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions