Seeking help in translating a short Portuguese passage.

Vajra

Ad Honorem
May 2013
India
Hello all,can anyone who can understand Portuguese please try translating this passage for me?

It is basically from a book detailing Portuguese contact with my region in India.I'm looking for a word-by-word translation of these lines.The Nayres refers to my community who were traditionally the warriors of my region.I cannot grasp the other words and their meanings.Any help in translating this passage will be highly appreciated.Thanks :)

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
Ok, I'm Portuguese so I can help you translate that passage.

Bear in mind that this is written in Old Portuguese, so the letters and the meaning of the words are quite different than it's used today and more importantly, grammar and sentence structure are very confusing and somewhat ****ed up for a modern Portuguese speaker. But luckily, I've took a course in Old Portuguese in my university :)

So the passage goes like this:

"With our forces thwarted, the enemy retreated to their city, and when there they made obsequies for their King, according to their customs, traditions and rites. And once they done it, anyone loyal to him, his annuities, and vassals, which consisted in approximately four thousand "Nayres", some made themselves "Amoucos", with their ceremonies, they completely shaved from head to shoulders, (to be easily recognized), and made pledge inside their temples to die for their King as an act of vengeance for his death. Fei-"

That's about it. I tried to translate it more accurately as possible. That's why the text might be a little awkward and confusing to read. That's how people in those times used to write.
You should've give me the entire text to know the context of the passage, though. It would've made the job a little easier.

Hope I was helpful.

Vajra

Ad Honorem
May 2013
India
Ok, I'm Portuguese so I can help you translate that passage.

Bear in mind that this is written in Old Portuguese, so the letters and the meaning of the words are quite different than it's used today and more importantly, grammar and sentence structure are very confusing and somewhat ****ed up for a modern Portuguese speaker. But luckily, I've took a course in Old Portuguese in my university :)

So the passage goes like this:

"With our forces thwarted, the enemy retreated to their city, and when there they made obsequies for their King, according to their customs, traditions and rites. And once they done it, anyone loyal to him, his annuities, and vassals, which consisted in approximately four thousand "Nayres", some made themselves "Amoucos", with their ceremonies, they completely shaved from head to shoulders, (to be easily recognized), and made pledge inside their temples to die for their King as an act of vengeance for his death. Fei-"

That's about it. I tried to translate it more accurately as possible. That's why the text might be a little awkward and confusing to read. That's how people in those times used to write.
You should've give me the entire text to know the context of the passage, though. It would've made the job a little easier.

Hope I was helpful.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it :) It is not confusing at all,I just needed to know the four thousand "Nayres", some made themselves "Amoucos" part :) Thanks again for helping me with this!