seeking sources for all roman letters of correspondence (besides cicero and pliny)

Feb 2010
Montana
Hello,

I am hoping to get some direction as to where I can find publications of extant roman correspondence. cicero and pliny are the most famous, and are easy to find, but I know much more exists from many more people. I just found out augustus himself has some existing letters. Does anyone know of a source where there are translated compilations of other letters? Ideally, I would like to read ALL extant letters, from all writers.

Thank you so much for your help,
mighty

Mar 2017
Colorado
Hello,

I am hoping to get some direction as to where I can find publications of extant roman correspondence. cicero and pliny are the most famous, and are easy to find, but I know much more exists from many more people. I just found out augustus himself has some existing letters. Does anyone know of a source where there are translated compilations of other letters? Ideally, I would like to read ALL extant letters, from all writers.

Thank you so much for your help,
mighty
Me, too.

One of the early historians paraphrases a response to a nastigram from Augustus to Marc Antony in Egypt. I don't know that the actual letter exists.

I'll keep an eye on this thread. :)

Feb 2017
Pacific Ocean
Although mostly not from the Principate period, and mostly about religious matters, this website contains translations of the writings of early church fathers. The compilation includes, among other works, various letters, such as over a hundred letters of Jerome. Since you want access to all letters of the Roman period, this seemed useful. I hope it is!

Jan 2015
MD, USA
THE source on the trove of personal letters and other writings from Vindolanda,

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Letters...1535897018&sr=8-1&keywords=vindolanda+letters

There is also a work on Roman papyrus documents from Egypt, though I don't have a citation for some reason. Many of those were army records such as duty rosters, but there were also letters. Including a series of letters from a young man who had just joined the fleet, to his family, FASCINATING reading.

You may have to comb through all the usual sources like Tacitus and Suetonius, as well, since they refer to correspondence now and then, as I recall.

Matthew

Similar History Discussions