Seiges where the defendants were vastly outnumbered but sucessful

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Camerone counts ?

62 French Legionnaires retrenched in a hacienda, facing 2000 Mexican troopers.

Almost all of them died, but by that they did protected the main convoy from beeing attacked, which was their mission.

Last edited:

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Camerone counts ?

62 French Legionnaires retrenched in a hacienda, facing 2000 Mexican troopers.

Almost all of them died, but by that they did protected the main convoy from beeing attacked, which was their mission.
While a great and inspirational event is it a siege? or a defensive battle?

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
While a great and inspirational event is it a siege? or a defensive battle?
Well, the Legionnaires were defending themselves inside a hacienda, the Mexicans besieged them, attacked them …

It was a siege because I say so, caporal ! You don't argue with a captain ! :evil:

More seriously, in French it is a siege. I don't know If the English meaning of "siege" is identical and if it really applies to this particular situation.

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Well, the Legionnaires were defending themselves inside a hacienda, the Mexicans besieged them, attacked them …

It was a siege because I say so, caporal ! You don't argue with a captain ! :evil:

More seriously, in French it is a siege. I don't know If the English meaning of "siege" is identical and if it really applies to this particular situation.
I am not sure of the proper definition -- but is a defensive battle lasting less than a day --eg Rorkes Drift-- a siege?

Wellington effectively just defended (its all he had to do) most of the day at Waterloo is that a siege?

for me a Siege is a protracted defence of a position such as Malta by the Turks or even by the Axis in WWII.

Leningrad is a siege, Paris was a siege in the Franco-Prussian War or Saragossa in the Peninsula, Gibraltar for centuries etc

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
I am not sure of the proper definition -- but is a defensive battle lasting less than a day --eg Rorkes Drift-- a siege?

Wellington effectively just defended (its all he had to do) most of the day at Waterloo is that a siege?

for me a Siege is a protracted defence of a position such as Malta by the Turks or even by the Axis in WWII.

Leningrad is a siege, Paris was a siege in the Franco-Prussian War or Saragossa in the Peninsula, Gibraltar for centuries etc
Thank You for the necessary clarifications.

Btw, I started with "Cameron counts?", remember ?