Seiges where the defendants were vastly outnumbered but sucessful

Oct 2013
Europix
Camerone counts ?

62 French Legionnaires retrenched in a hacienda, facing 2000 Mexican troopers.

Almost all of them died, but by that they did protected the main convoy from beeing attacked, which was their mission.

Last edited:
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Camerone counts ?

62 French Legionnaires retrenched in a hacienda, facing 2000 Mexican troopers.

Almost all of them died, but by that they did protected the main convoy from beeing attacked, which was their mission.
While a great and inspirational event is it a siege? or a defensive battle?

Oct 2013
Europix
While a great and inspirational event is it a siege? or a defensive battle?
Well, the Legionnaires were defending themselves inside a hacienda, the Mexicans besieged them, attacked them …

It was a siege because I say so, caporal ! You don't argue with a captain ! :evil:

More seriously, in French it is a siege. I don't know If the English meaning of "siege" is identical and if it really applies to this particular situation.

May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Well, the Legionnaires were defending themselves inside a hacienda, the Mexicans besieged them, attacked them …

It was a siege because I say so, caporal ! You don't argue with a captain ! :evil:

More seriously, in French it is a siege. I don't know If the English meaning of "siege" is identical and if it really applies to this particular situation.
I am not sure of the proper definition -- but is a defensive battle lasting less than a day --eg Rorkes Drift-- a siege?

Wellington effectively just defended (its all he had to do) most of the day at Waterloo is that a siege?

for me a Siege is a protracted defence of a position such as Malta by the Turks or even by the Axis in WWII.

Leningrad is a siege, Paris was a siege in the Franco-Prussian War or Saragossa in the Peninsula, Gibraltar for centuries etc

Oct 2013
Europix
I am not sure of the proper definition -- but is a defensive battle lasting less than a day --eg Rorkes Drift-- a siege?

Wellington effectively just defended (its all he had to do) most of the day at Waterloo is that a siege?

for me a Siege is a protracted defence of a position such as Malta by the Turks or even by the Axis in WWII.

Leningrad is a siege, Paris was a siege in the Franco-Prussian War or Saragossa in the Peninsula, Gibraltar for centuries etc
Thank You for the necessary clarifications.

Btw, I started with "Cameron counts?", remember ?