Senegal Invades Gambia to Support New President

EmperorTigerstar

Ad Honorem
Jun 2013
USA
Is it an invasion? They have been invited by the internationally recognised, democratically elected president of the country to support his administration.
I use invasion purely for the meaning of foreign troops crossing the border into the country. I am aware of them helping Barrow stay the new president. Even the wikipedia page on the matter uses "Invasion of the Gambia".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_the_Gambia

Also it appears to be over:

Gambia's Jammeh 'to quit and leave', says Adama Barrow - BBC News

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
A good friend of mine is a Senegalese who works in Italy [he's just leaving for his country to spend a couple of weeks with his family]. When we talk about that region of Africa he always tells me that Gambia is a curiosity. He's Muslim, so it's not about that it's an Islamic Republic [while Senegal is a lay democracy], but about that the official language is Arab.

Arab? My friend talks French and a local Senegalese language, he says that in Gambia they speak English.

P.S. and "Mandingo" as local language, to be comprehensive.

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
A suggestion for Gambia

I've got a suggestion for who in Gambia could decide to face the Senegalese forces:

they are not so numerous, but they have equipped and trained by Americans and French and they can enjoy German technology. And they can deploy Russian helicopters for closed air support for the infantry.

In a few words: leave them in peace.

EmperorTigerstar

Ad Honorem
Jun 2013
USA
Jameh has now gone into exile in Guinea. However the coalition is agreeing to keep some troops there for a short period to ensure security.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Two years after these events, anyone has a clear idea how is the situation in Gambia?