Separating History from Myth: Scotland

galteeman

Ad Honorem
Apr 2008
Sodom and Begorrah
Interesting links Ros.
"In Scotland," he writes, "the apparatus of Celtic tribalism has been assumed, and formalised, by those whose ancestors regarded the Highland dress as the badge of barbarism, and shuddered at the squeal of the bagpipe."
This is probably true. The lowlanders hated the Gaelic speaking highlanders with a vengeance and now their decendents go to weddings and rugby matches in their supposed traditional garb. Funny old world. I have read that Queen Victoria had her castle at Balmoral covered in Highland regalia while a few miles up the road the police were driving out the last of the highlanders from their homes.

Chookie

Ad Honorem
Nov 2007
Alba
Is "Alba" the Gaelic equivalent of "Albion", which I believe was Brythonic?
Albion is the oldest recorded name of the British Isles, Alba is the Scottish Gaelic derivation, but Albion isn't Brythonic, its much older. Etymologically it presumed to be from a Proto-Celtic stem *Alb-i̯en-. Together with other toponyms such as Alpes it may either derive from a Proto-Indo-European root *albh- "white", or may be of pre-Indo-European origin.

Alba is cognate to the Irish Albain, the Welsh Yr Alban and the Manx Nalbin.

Last edited:

Chookie

Ad Honorem
Nov 2007
Alba
I had a look at those links Ros, but Hugh Trevor-Roper is not a credible source. In fact he was a racist and bigot. He was one of the "experts" who authenticated the Hitler Diaries (even before David Irving).

I must admit that he was, unusually, corrcet in that passage quoted by Galteeman.

Last edited:

Rosi

Historum Emeritas
Jul 2008
I had a look at those links Ros, but Hugh Trevor-Roper is not a credible source. In fact he was a racist and bigot. He was one of the "experts" who authenticated the Hitler Diaries (even before David Irving).
Yeah, he was conned badly with the Hitler Diaries hoax, wasn't he? Though that seems more like an exception than a rule. One bad episode marred the credibility of an entire career.

Oct 2008
As far as the Hitler diaries go, Trevor-Roper was duped along with Gerhardt Weinberg. Weinberg is one of the best writers on hitler and germany so perhaps the con was really really good.

avon

Forum Staff
May 2008
As far as the Hitler diaries go, Trevor-Roper was duped along with Gerhardt Weinberg. Weinberg is one of the best writers on hitler and germany so perhaps the con was really really good.
Wasn't the other historian Eberhardt Jackel? Both he and Weinberg are indeed good historians. Trevor-Roper (a tosser!!) suffered from the episode because prior to giving his endorsement of the diaries' authenticity, he had, as editor of The Times, already paid a substantial sum for the rights to serialise the Diaries. Perhaps a conflict of interest to far for someone with such high opinions of themselves.:rolleyes:

galteeman

Ad Honorem
Apr 2008
Sodom and Begorrah
Yes it is real. It is a place with hills, mountains, fields and water and people live there trying to get by as best they can. The same in fact as every other place on earth. Everything else apart from that is myths.

Similar History Discussions