Seventy years since Nuremburg

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
It should noted in that regard that the main people on trial at Nuremberg held very senior and indeed leading positions, and were not merely passively following orders that they disapproved of.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
"I call on god almighty to have mercy on the German people. More than two million German soldiers went to their death for the Fatherland before me. I follow now my sons--all for Germany."
And that phrase alone justifies his sentence.

The two millions didn't died for Fatherland, but for fulling the delirium of a Germanic-suprematist maniac, the interest of a whole opportunist clique.

respondent superior as a defense, which is unreasonable
Well, taking into account that they were (high-ranking) officials/officers of a society that had put in place an efficient, industrial-like system of killing non-combatant people and communities it's difficult to consider respondent superior idea as a defence.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
The Nuremberg trials were essentially political theater .
I do not say that to belittle them .
It was an important part of closing the war ,
by a display to the world of the victors righteousness
"we are the good ........you are the bad "

the details of the sentences are somewhat muddled and unimportant
what mattered is that the leadership was held to public account , not in the name of glory or pride
but of common man justice

someone had to call out the account , the fury had died down , the dead were being buried
the drama was played , this was the epilogue

starman

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Connecticut
Well, taking into account that they were (high-ranking) officials/officers of a society that had put in place an efficient, industrial-like system of killing non-combatant people and communities it's difficult to consider respondent superior idea as a defence.
But most of the defendants had little actual power, especially relative to Adolf. He was the supreme leader, the fuhrer.

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Even Adolf could not run such a system single-handed, he needed willing followers and accomplices, it can hardly be said that the foremost figures in the regime were just passively 'following orders', that would be a misrepresentation of the true situation. This involved a massive amount of organization in which those people deveoped their own schemes to advance a course of action of which they fully approved. It is not as if most of them ever even contemplated opposing that course of action.

Similar History Discussions