Should all Muslims be considered a potential threat?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
The title of this thread will no doubt create some outrage but please read on before commenting, and then you can lay into me.

First of all, I do not believe that all Muslims are extremists or support extremism. Of course, they are not. After all, more Muslims are killed by extremists than non-Muslims.

However, a small number of radicals and extremists do exist, and these people are always looking for converts to their cause. They target the vulnerable and the impressionable. With the reach of the internet, it is hard to stop these people from reaching their intended audience. With young Muslims in western societies today feeling more isolated, they are drawn to the radical message.

We constantly hear about well educated, normal, middle class Muslim kids suddenly becoming religious and then heading off to the Middle East to fight for IS. In our schools, parents seeking Muslim-friendly schools instead find those schools co-opted into teaching a strict form of Islam that oppresses women and focuses on religion, not education. Some, when going back home, enrol their children into madrassas or find their children brain-washed by radical family members.

And there are extremist parents living in our societies who want their children to go off and become martyrs, and spread their poisonous ideals amongst those they come into contact with.

And because of the fear of being seen as un-Islamic or due to other pressure, other Muslims do not condemn these things, or take sufficient action to root out the extremists. Although we do hear condemnation, I get the impression that it is very rare for extremist preachers and radicals to be turned in by fellow Muslims.

With the threat of radicalisation seemingly never far away, I ask you this question - should Western society view all Muslims, moderate or not, as a threat? And if not, what should be done to combat radicalisation?

Mar 2014
Canterbury
should Western society view all Muslims, moderate or not, as a threat? And if not, what should be done to combat radicalisation?
It would be very, very unhelpful to start viewing all Muslims as potential threats. A sense of disenfranchisement and cultural alienation is one of things making young Muslims vulnerable to radicalisation in the first place; we don't want to exponentially increase that. More does need to be done to tackle radicalisation, though: an insane amount more. We need to take off the kid gloves. How about:

- Demanding English fluency from anyone resident in the country and restricting the number of dependents and relatives that can get residency through a successful incomer; this will prevent further importing of rural, conservative patriarchal culture, and force the mainstream on what's already here.

- Sweeping forfeiture of all belongings of anyone convicted of involvement in not just terrorism, but the spread of militant Islam. That's radical preachers, people who went to fight for ISIS, people who sent money to them, people who disseminate propaganda, family members who fail to turn them in, etc. Once they're forfeited they can be imprisoned, deported at the end of their sentence if they were born abroad.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
- Sweeping forfeiture of all belongings of anyone convicted of involvement in not just terrorism, but the spread of militant Islam. That's radical preachers, people who went to fight for ISIS, people who sent money to them, people who disseminate propaganda, family members who fail to turn them in, etc. Once they're forfeited they can be imprisoned, deported at the end of their sentence if they were born abroad.
Would that not increase the sense of victimisation and disenfranchisement?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
It would if aimed at the innocent, but if they've already supported terrorism their motivation's less important than their guilt.
I think confiscating and punishing family members who failed to turn them in would be seen as being aimed at the innocent - collective punishment has never worked as a means of quelling dissent.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
Should all Muslims be considered a potential threat?

It couldn't hurt to keep your ears out and your eyes open, that's for sure. Especially where there are sizable Muslim communities. As you say, Naomasa, most of these folks are probably just normal folks, interested only in leading normal and non-violent lives, but there are enough extremists in the Islamic world that warrants some extra scrutiny of their communities, businesses, charities, mosques, etc. I also like a bit of what Domhnall had to say. There should be zero tolerance for any affiliation, support or association with any known terror groups.

- Demanding English fluency from anyone resident in the country and restricting the number of dependents and relatives that can get residency through a successful incomer; this will prevent further importing of rural, conservative patriarchal culture, and force the mainstream on what's already here.
I'm supportive of this as well. They can't be allowed to form "ghettos." If they're serious about being part of Western society, then they need to show it, prove it.

Oct 2011
MARE PACIFICVM
I don't think that all Muslims should be viewed as a threat, but all Muslim communities should be. Radicalization requires a core community of radicals who are willing to actively and aggressively spread their beliefs - in other words, a community. These radical communities are what should be targeted. Unfortunately the fact that many of them are on the internet makes this difficult. But instead of letting the metaphorical sink run and then trying to clean up the flood, it makes more sense to try and turn off the tap.

Sep 2013
Holland
The news is feeding us anti-Muslim propaganda to justify another war in the Middle-East, as they have been for the last decades. Don't buy into it, it's all bullshit. Muslims are just like Christians, but perhaps slightly more backwards. Give it one or two generations in a western country and they're just "normal" like all other religious people.

I've gone to school with Muslims, I've worked with Muslims. They're fine people, never had a problem with them. In fact, they're usually even more welcoming and open-hearted than most western people I meet. (I am western myself)

Don't believe everything you see on the news. When the news says random Muslims are leaving Europe to fight in a jihad, ask yourself first how many there are and whether isn't not just some freak incidents which are being highlighted (as the news often does). Also ask yourself; If all these people are leaving, why am I not noticing it in my close environment? Answer; Probably because it's bullshit.

The news is a dangerous tool and mostly used for nefarious purposes. Without a filter for stupid bullshit, you shouldn't be watching it.

Oct 2011
MARE PACIFICVM
Just to be a little-picky, but I said a potential threat, rather than a threat.
Yes, well that gets a bit trickier. I mean, I view every person as a potential threat. Everyday people are shot in the street for no apparent reason, regardless of race, religion, or creed. I suppose then the question is whether all Muslims should be viewed as more likely to be a threat than others. It is a difficult question. Perhaps statistically they should, but of course there are plenty of situations in which I would not view individual Muslims in that light.