Should countries be run like business corporations?

Aug 2016
Dispargum
QOL is active area of interest. One can evaluate mathematically the parameters of QOL. This article is not the end all, be all on the matter, but it's the present UN guideline. Two parties are not to going satisfy everyone (and maybe no one) and single issue parties are not likely to govern. In any case it's all people know.

New U.N. Index Measures Nations' Quality of Life
The "Where-to-be-Born" Index: The Highest And Lowest Scoring Countries
These types of QoL indexes are heavily influenced by values and culture. Not everyone assigns the same weight to the various issues. For instance, I see little interest in the Islamic World for Western-style gender equality. We Americans are quite content to have terrible health care, at least according to the indexes. Americans prefer an incentive-based economy which is inherently unequal which tends to lower our scores on these international indexes. A government that tried to implement these international standards in defiance of voter values and culture would not get very far. Even implementing QoL programs that conform to national values and culture is problematic. In a large country like the US, there is little consensus as to what constitutes QoL. Your whole premise that a government can be oriented to only implement QoL programs is predicated on the assumption that a QoL consensus exists.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
There will always be party differences in the definition of Quality of Life. Some people will believe a higher quality of life comes from a libertarian, hands-off, deregulated economy. Other people will want a more activist government. Or on social issues: How does QoL relate to the abortion issue? Some people will say that QoL comes from a woman's right to choose. Other people will say that QoL must first begin with life and be anti-arbortion. Every other issue that affects QoL can be politicized the same way.
With a rampant consumer society as the one we enjoy today, the concept of 'quality of life' is seldom mention, and tends to be implicitly conflated with standard of living .

@stevev

Could you perhaps post or give a link to explain the parameters used in calculating quality of life?. I ask, because it's my observation that such a term tends to be subjective. Once a person has 'the basic necessities, it may become a matter of opinion. I suspect the definition of 'necessities 'might differ between
affluent and poorer countries

Perhaps due to nostalgia, I consider my quality of life was greater when I was a child, until 1960:

A broad outline of that time, as I remember it: Dad had a secure, well paid job. There were 6 of us. Mum did not work outside the home, where she worked very hard.. We lived in "a war service home" ; mortgages given to veterans at a fixed interest of 3.75% over 40 years.

A devout Catholic, dad insisted we four kids all attend parochial Catholic schools.

We had no car until 1960 (quite common at the time, no TV also until 1960, 'also common at the time... First fridge when I was 6. Washing machine(electric wringer) and Vacuum cleaner.

Entertainment; Radio, library books. Occasional cinema. And of course visiting friends, especially Sundays after Mass, everyone took beer.

Pubs closed at 6pm Monday to Saturday. Closed Sunday, along with everything else. . Alcohol could not be legally obtained outside of those hours. (in this state; our Premier for 29 years was a Methodist) Glad I was a kid.

Social Justice: a Fixed minimum wage, based on the amount needed for a family of 4 to live in modest comfort . A body called "The Conciliation and Arbitration Commission" which oversaw industrial relations, and who could make decisions binding on both labour and industry.

Universal health care. Not sure when free universal healthcare began. Current system is called "Medicare" and provides free treatment in a public hospital, and can be free from a GP. Medicare is funded by a 2.5% income tax levy, from which thee are exemptions.

Non contributory age pension.

Free education to high school level. School leaving age of 14.

This was during the baby boom of post WW2, so there were free clinics for mothers and babies.

I've probably missed all kinds of things used in the mathematical model, but remain most interested.

Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Could you perhaps post or give a link to explain the parameters used in calculating quality of life?. I ask, because it's my observation that such a term tends to be subjective. Once a person has 'the basic necessities, it may become a matter of opinion. I suspect the definition of 'necessities 'might differ between
affluent and poorer countries
http://www.ijiet.org/papers/494-S10008.pdf

BTW Australia ranked second in one of the surveys. The choice of indicators need not be identical as long as they reflect measurable QOL. They tend to give similar results. A country with a longer life expectancy will also tend to have higher levels of education , higher family income and lower infant mortality.

Last edited:
Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
http://www.ijiet.org/papers/494-S10008.pdf

BTW Australia ranked second in one of the surveys. The choice of indicators need not be identical as long as they reflect measurable QOL. They tend to give similar results. A country with a longer life expectancy will also tend to have higher levels of education , higher family income and lower infant mortality.
Thanks for the link

Not surprised Oz did so well. In the last "Top 10 cities in which to live" I saw, Australia had 3/10 cities . Annoyingly, my city of Adelaide was not among them. I think Melbourne was rated number one . I've lived in Melbourne . I loved it, but I was 18 at the time. In my unbiased opinion,Adelaide is a far better city for young families and retirees, not to mention cheaper. To be fair, lists vary a lot and seem quite arbitrary.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
[

Municipalities are usually corporations. This may include larger subnational units in some countries. What is sovereign state? When I say a state should be run like a business, I'm hardly alone. A business would never pay $5000 for a wrench that generally costs $15. I'm not sure what a state is. It can own property like a corporation. It can hire workers and pay salaries. In any case, why shouldn't a state be run like a corporation; not for profit but for the public good. That's the one goal best summarized as the measure of the quality of life.
I realize muncipalities are generally corporations, but they are corps run like governments and not governments run like corps

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
These types of QoL indexes are heavily influenced by values and culture. Not everyone assigns the same weight to the various issues. For instance, I see little interest in the Islamic World for Western-style gender equality. We Americans are quite content to have terrible health care, at least according to the indexes. Americans prefer an incentive-based economy which is inherently unequal which tends to lower our scores on these international indexes. A government that tried to implement these international standards in defiance of voter values and culture would not get very far. Even implementing QoL programs that conform to national values and culture is problematic. In a large country like the US, there is little consensus as to what constitutes QoL. Your whole premise that a government can be oriented to only implement QoL programs is predicated on the assumption that a QoL consensus exists.

Agreed. Cultural bias can often be an issue. Notoriously, there was strong cultural bias in studies in some, (probably in the 1960's) claiming to show for example that US urban blacks and Australian aboriginals were of lower intellecte

Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Agreed. Cultural bias can often be an issue. Notoriously, there was strong cultural bias in studies in some, (probably in the 1960's) claiming to show for example that US urban blacks and Australian aboriginals were of lower intellecte
I'm not sure what this has to do with QOL measures. Minority citizens may well have shorter lifespans, less education, lower household incomes and greater infant mortality. These are QOL issues which the sovereign corporation (SC) is mandated to address. As I said you before, you can choose different sets of such measures and get similar results in overall quantification of QOL because the individual data categories are highly correlated. A person's IQ is not a QOL measure per se.

As for people wanting make laws regarding their particular cultural biases, I have a libertarian view. The right pursue a personal life style ends when it interferes with the rights of others. As for abortion, I believe everyone would agree that a baby should come under the protection of the law when it is born in a civilized society.

Last edited: