Should Europeans offer their apologies for their colonization?

Should the European apologize for their colonization?

• Yes

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • No

Votes: 147 58.3%
  • No, but educate the European children more about this subject

Votes: 76 30.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
May 2011
Macedonia, Eastern Roman Empire
How far back? Indo-European invasion...apologise now for that!

Sep 2011
------------
You laugh but you are absolutely correct.

How far back in history should we go apologising for everything that in this day and age may seem controversial?
Like the English getting the guilt trip off the Scots constantly...

Last edited:
Dec 2010
Newfoundland
Depends on the country. For the most part colonization was a good thing where we civilized and Christianized backwards peoples.

Oh and guys, it is silly to forget something just because it was in "the past". Should we let free Nazi criminals off the hook because they are old now and the holocaust was in "the past"? NO! The same applies to this topic.

Dec 2010
Newfoundland
No... but teach kids.

Should we Arabs apologize to Spain?
If anything Spain should apologize to the Arabs for the reconquista.

But it isn't necessary to apologise just because they did something wrong. They can go ahead and be machivellian and say "we beat you fair and square". But I sure as heck don't want to hear "because it was a long time ago".

bunyip

Ad Honorem
Sep 2010
You laugh but you are absolutely correct.

How far back in history should we go apologising for everything that in this day and age may seem controversial?
Indeed. How far back should one go.Rome? Egypt? Babylon? meso America?

'Colonialism' is only a precious euphemism for 'conquest'. The conquered have the rights accorded to them by the conquerors.

Colonialism ends when the conqueror doesn't want the place any more or the conquered get strong enough to throw them out. If the newly free can wrest an apology and compensation from their former masters,wonderful. I'd try too in their place,but there is no innate right to either, in my opinion.