Should Europeans offer their apologies for their colonization?

Should the European apologize for their colonization?

• Yes

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • No

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • No, but educate the European children more about this subject

Votes: 55 31.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Apr 2015
Italy
i think apologies don't really make sense.
It's like me asking forgivness for something my grandfather did. Or me asking moneys to you for something your grandfather did to my grandfather, why should you be considered responsable for something that happened while you werent even born?
I think what countries should do is aknowledge their past and do what they can to avoid it happen again, but forgivness and compensation don't really make sense.
For example Japan should aknowledge what they did during chinese occupation and that they keep to deny to this day and should ask forgivness for taking so long to do so. But a japanese living today can't be considered responsable if his grandpa raped and killed someone 70 years ago. but he also should be asked not do deny that it happened.

Sep 2016
Georgia
Should English pay annual compensation to Republic of Ireland ?

Should Irish demand from English to bring down the statue of Oliver Cromwell ?

Sep 2016
Georgia
He was a Danish king of England, not an English king.
Oh yeah ? Than tell me who was the English king after William the Conqueror ? How many English kings there were after William the Conqueror ? You want to know the answer ? It's zero. Yes, England never had English kings after that. England had 0 English kings after that. Even Elizabeth II and her dynasty are not English. Likewise, Kings of Spain were not Spanish for many centuries.

Last edited:
Jan 2014
Westmorland
Oh yeah ? Than tell me who was the English king after William the Conqueror ? How many English kings there were after William the Conqueror ? You want to know the answer ? It's zero. Yes, England never had English kings after that. England had 0 English kings after that. Even Elizabeth II and her dynasty are not English. Likewise, Kings of Spain were not Spanish for many centuries.
So what you are saying is that irrespective of the fact that you were born in England, irrespective of the English language you speak, irrespective of the British culture you grew up in and irrespective of your social and life experiences which largely took place in England and the UK, if you have an ancestor three hundred years ago who was born in what is now Germany, then you cannot claim to be English?

If so, then we will have to conclude that in addition to England having no English monarchs since 1066, the country no longer has any English citizens either.

Similar History Discussions