Should Europeans offer their apologies for their colonization?

Should the European apologize for their colonization?

• Yes

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • No

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • No, but educate the European children more about this subject

Votes: 55 31.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Vladd

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
England
This is something that I have pointed out to people in the past, when they bang on about the Queen being German. I ask how is it a child born of an immigrant in this country is quite rightly called British, yet from Queen Victoria’s Father through to our current Queen their place of birth has been England and yet people still call them German. I never get an answer.

As for getting an apology for the actions of ancestors I remember an episode of Babylon 5 where in the background there was an ongoing court case where decedents of UFO abductees were demanding compensation from the decedents of the aliens who abducted them. Obviously the writers thought historical compensation claims was a problem that will be with us for a long time.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Oh yeah ? Than tell me who was the English king after William the Conqueror ? How many English kings there were after William the Conqueror ? You want to know the answer ? It's zero. Yes, England never had English kings after that. England had 0 English kings after that. Even Elizabeth II and her dynasty are not English. Likewise, Kings of Spain were not Spanish for many centuries.
Sorry to disagree, I will leave the English case for others, but about Spain – and I don’t know if you are referring to the Habsburgs, the Bourbons, or both (other dynasties were ephemeral) – I surely not agree. And probably most of their contemporary would also disagree with you. Anyway there was a time that monarchies ruled over territories with quite different languages and cultures and that was not a huge obstacle to its governance; furthermore the rulers had often fathers and tutors of different languages and proveniences. The case of Carlos I is quite paradigmatic. He was not Spanish when he inherited the throne and de facto created “Spain” as we know it today, uniting two crowns under the same head (Castile and Aragon), but he was surely Spanish forty years later when he abdicated.

Sep 2016
Georgia
Sorry to disagree, I will leave the English case for others, but about Spain – and I don’t know if you are referring to the Habsburgs, the Bourbons, or both (other dynasties were ephemeral)
I was talking about both of them.

Habsburgs also weren't Austrians originally.

Sep 2015
England
Oh yeah ? Than tell me who was the English king after William the Conqueror ? How many English kings there were after William the Conqueror ? You want to know the answer ? It's zero. Yes, England never had English kings after that. England had 0 English kings after that. Even Elizabeth II and her dynasty are not English. Likewise, Kings of Spain were not Spanish for many centuries.
The successors of William the Conqueror were Anglo-Norman.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I was talking about both of them.

Habsburgs also weren't Austrians originally.
Carlos I was the first Spanish Hapsburg king and he turned itself a Spanish, about Filipe V, the fist Bourbon, I must say that I didn’t read much about the man, but more about the period, and I don’t know if he spoke Castilian, anyway his descendents were already Spanish.

If I am not mistaken, the Habsburgs were originally German speakers (don’t know the dialect), and Austria spoke and speaks German. By the late Middle Ages there wasn’t such a clear separation between Austria and Germany, as we saw later in the 19th century, it was all a part of the Empire and a mosaic of small states.

Sep 2015
England
Bow, this kind of apology I find ridiculous:
Orwell gets apology for rejected food essay

George Orwell apparently was not available for comment.
An apology to prove you've changed is (all) bienvenue so to speak, but if your critique of the object in question is a bit off, and/or there is a trace of hypocrisy to be found within the organisation doing the apology ... ... as so many of the above posts state and imply, what are you not apologising for ?

Last edited:
Sep 2016
Georgia
If I am not mistaken, the Habsburgs were originally German speakers (don’t know the dialect), and Austria spoke and speaks German. By the late Middle Ages there wasn’t such a clear separation between Austria and Germany, as we saw later in the 19th century, it was all a part of the Empire and a mosaic of small states.
Habsburgs were from Alsace and northern Switzerland originally. They acquired duchy of Austria only in second half of 13th century. Rudolf I Habsburg ( King of Germany ) installed there both his sons.

Similar History Discussions