Should governments build more public housing?

Should governments build more public housing?

• Yes, they should.

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • No, they should not.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 9 19.1%

• Total voters

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
Wow, maybe we can convince these people to sell apples on street corners so they can pay their own rent?

Many of the people who live in my area have food stands, where they sell fruit, vegetables, honey, etc. Some are Amish, others are farmers, but regardless, while they may not be rich they get by. Do you feel this is beneath you? How about the people doing this? Should they pay taxes for others to have public housing?

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
Okay, have you attempted to image how things would be if there were no public housing?

Everywhere cities are announcing a housing crisis. If I had to move today I would be in crisis because there is no other housing I can afford. I would be homeless and because I use a machine that keeps breathing through the night, my ability to function would be seriously compromised.

My understanding of homelessness is that it makes people disfunctional, and puts them in a life threatening situation. I think it is unrealistic to expect homeless people to function, hold jobs and do all the things that are required. Homelessness is extremely harmful to children and a modern civilized country should not turn a blind eye to the problem. Not only is it harmful to the children, but humans keep breeding and such problems increase expotentially.

Say you have a disability income of $741 a month. How many rentals are there for you to choose from in your area?
In cities where there is little or no public housing, families join together to pay rent. It's not ideal, as apartments are crowded, but it gives incentive to the young and able to move out.

If a person is disabled, he/she does not need to live in a city. Rent in some small towns can be far lower, and they can arrange for roommates or something of the sort. The idea that if public housing is gone people must become homeless is not true.

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
To clarify I am not saying that there should be no government housing, just that there should not be emphasis on government housing anymore. In places like the USA and Canada. It has been done and has not solved the major problems.
True, one of the reasons is that some see it as a permanent solution. I think temporary assistance would be a better option.

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
I voted yes. Better have a home than homeless. Especially for families. Ive seen families slept under a bridge in cold nights, sad scene.

Now the problem is bureaucracy and corruption.
A lot of the time, homelessness occurs when people are mentally ill or addicted to drugs. They don't manage their money well and end up on the street, it's not a matter of public housing.

Aug 2016
Virginia
If the economic system being used doesn't enable folks to have affordable housing, the the government should step in. A society can't exist with men, women and children ill-housed. It not only affects productivity, but in the end promotes social unrest.

It is possible to build affordable homes that people can afford, they just aren't being built since the profit margins are not high.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
In India, housing needs are the greatest. The urban poor--- and they are increasing in numbers--- have no place to live, so they straightaway encroach on the govt.lands and build their shanties there, mostly out of tinplates, roofs as well as walls.Toilet is in the open space. These shanties can really increase massively. In Mumbai ( aka Bombay ), there is the biggest slum in Asia in a locality called Dharavi. Probably a million people live here, more and not less. Criminals exploit the situation by lording over the slums and collect ' rent ' from the poor. The ' B' team of the criminals , namely the politicians soon elbow their way in.Proposals to ' regularise ' the encroachments soon mushroom up. So the urban poor soon realise that outright grabbing of the vacant Govt. land is a profitable thing to do.
The next stage in this is the unholy desire of the ' B ' team of the criminals to establish big bureaucratic agencies like the so called Slums Redevelopement Authorities.This is immediately manned by appropriately crooked politicians as statutory Chairmen etc. and are assisted by the most dyed in the wool crooks , bureaucrats called the Indian Administrative Service, who give themselves cars, phones, secretaries, powers to accept tenders for new construction of Reinforced Concrete Construction of walk up tenements of Gr+4 floors. The quality of these houses is poor due to the obvious reason---corruption. The poor are allotted these houses in order to make them vacate their shanties, they sell their allotments to their village relatives or friends and continue to stay in the shanties. So the cycle goes on merrily.

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
In India, housing needs are the greatest. The urban poor--- and they are increasing in numbers--- have no place to live, so they straightaway encroach on the govt.lands and build their shanties there, mostly out of tinplates, roofs as well as walls.Toilet is in the open space. These shanties can really increase massively. In Mumbai ( aka Bombay ), there is the biggest slum in Asia in a locality called Dharavi. Probably a million people live here, more and not less. Criminals exploit the situation by lording over the slums and collect ' rent ' from the poor. The ' B' team of the criminals , namely the politicians soon elbow their way in.Proposals to ' regularise ' the encroachments soon mushroom up. So the urban poor soon realise that outright grabbing of the vacant Govt. land is a profitable thing to do.
The next stage in this is the unholy desire of the ' B ' team of the criminals to establish big bureaucratic agencies like the so called Slums Redevelopement Authorities.This is immediately manned by appropriately crooked politicians as statutory Chairmen etc. and are assisted by the most dyed in the wool crooks , bureaucrats called the Indian Administrative Service, who give themselves cars, phones, secretaries, powers to accept tenders for new construction of Reinforced Concrete Construction of walk up tenements of Gr+4 floors. The quality of these houses is poor due to the obvious reason---corruption. The poor are allotted these houses in order to make them vacate their shanties, they sell their allotments to their village relatives or friends and continue to stay in the shanties. So the cycle goes on merrily.
Here, we seem to be looking at many more issues. Overpopulation, government corruption, crime, exploitation of the poor... All of these things need to be tackled separately. Just building public housing is not the answer.

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
If the economic system being used doesn't enable folks to have affordable housing, the the government should step in. A society can't exist with men, women and children ill-housed. It not only affects productivity, but in the end promotes social unrest.

It is possible to build affordable homes that people can afford, they just aren't being built since the profit margins are not high.
Sure, the government needs to help people, but is it not better to teach them to fish as opposed to giving them fish? Should they not focus on providing people with skills so they can afford housing as opposed to building houses that cost less?

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Here, we seem to be looking at many more issues. Overpopulation, government corruption, crime, exploitation of the poor... All of these things need to be tackled separately. Just building public housing is not the answer.
I have told the way the ' affordable housing ' for the poor is being tackled in India. Better done are the private cooperative housing societies which we see everywhere in India. Of course, these societies come into existence, after a builder/ developer gets a construction scheme sanctioned together with the approval of architectural plans and after sufficient number of individual units are sold to the needy middle class which is coming out of the grip of poverty and desires decent housing. Quality is barely acceptable, as the builders are totally unqualified rogues bent on making a quick buck. Certain reputed corporate houses are now into housing. These are Godrej and also the Tata s. One more firm called Rustamjee is also very good. Quality is as good as world class and the rates are not beyond reach. So things are improving, but slowly.
In India, problems are complex and you have to decide , often ruthlessly, what to tackle first. Housing was not, for years, on the priority list of the planners from the Indian Administrative Service which is the know-all but the most arrogant branch of civil service in India.

Jan 2011
Bangsar
A lot of the time, homelessness occurs when people are mentally ill or addicted to drugs. They don't manage their money well and end up on the street, it's not a matter of public housing.
Well at least do this to those who have kids. Their children at least need a roof on their head when it rains.