Should Greece be considered a cradle of civilisation?

Status
Closed
May 2011
Sweden
That pederasty, incest and other abnormal sexual activities were considered normal in both Egypt and Greece.
I know that pederasty was, but not incest.

I was unaware of this as a standard practice in Greece. Can someone point me in the right direction?
No, I meant that incest was standard practice among the Ptolemies, but not among the Greeks. I'm also unaware of that.

Nov 2012
When you try to date something that old, the result is often that you're a few hundred years off.

Alexander was a Macedonian, not a Greek. Alexandria was a Hellenistic city, Athens was a Greek city. There is a difference. Hellenism was often a mixture between Greek and Eastern culture.

That depends on how you define those things; the Minoan versions very quite primitive. Still, the pyramids were built alot earlier than that.

I do not dispute that.
This post showcased your ignorance on Greek history and culture.

Nov 2012
Ofcourse it was built like a Greek city, since it was Alexander the Great who founded it. However, the fact remains that Alexandria and its rulers adopted loads of important Egyptian customs and traditions, which only goes to show that it was the Ptolemies who were Egyptianized rather than the Egyptians Hellenized.

No, but it makes it very unique. Like I said, Alexandria was not so much "Greek" as "Alexandrian".
The Ptolemies were known to be xenophobic,also the Egyptian customs/traditions arent what made Alexandria great, it was the Greekness of the city that made it great and attracted so many people of different ethnicities to live there.This whole debate is a little silly,the Egyptian civilization was more advanced than the civilizations we associate today with Greece for a good period of time,but in terms of advancement I would give the edge to the Minoans over the Egyptians,of course the minoans had alot of egyptian influence but there is a native element in their culture which I identify as the start of the Greeks.

Guaporense

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
Brazil
During the Hellenistic period Greek culture spread from the Aegean cradle and infected the whole middle east. Alexandria was one of the hundreds of Greek poleis founded after 334 BC in the middle east and like the other poleis it was a Greek city state.

Of course, these poleis all assimilated cultural elements from the places where they were founded, in the same way that the US states near Mexico assimilated some Mexican cultural elements. Still, New Mexico is more American than Mexican.

And Egypt during the hellenistic period was gradually transformed into a hellenic culture. By the Early Roman period a very large proportion of the population of Egypt had greek names like Socrates and the towns copied the Greco-Roman standards of architecture and urban planning.

However, Egyptian culture also spread over the mediterranean and influenced the rest of the Greco-Roman world. Some Roman houses excavated in North Africa and Asia Minor have mosaics that show Egyptian gods. In a way, the conquest of Egypt by Alexander enabled Egyptian culture to influence the West to a so high degree that made all things Egyptian permanent elements of Western culture: Everybody knows the pyramids and the concept of pharaohs and stuff like that.

Status
Closed