Should illegitimate children be allowed to succeed to a throne?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Do you think that illegitimate children should be allowed to succeed to a throne? I know that Britain's royal succession laws were recently changed in order to eliminate the preference for males, but AFAIK illegitimate children are still excluded from the royal succession almost everywhere even right now (including in Britain). Do you think that this is actually fair? Do you think that this is something that should be changed?

As for my own thoughts on this, I am generally anti-monarchy in general, but if one is going to have a monarchy, I think that one should make it more equal by giving illegitimate children succession rights if and only if they are subsequently legitimized later on. If this is done, their date of legitimization should be treated as their birth date for succession purposes. For instance, if one prince is born illegitimate in 1979 and is legitimized in 1985 while another prince with the same royal father or royal mother is born legitimate in 1984, then this other prince should be ahead in the royal line of succession relative to his or her originally illegitimate sibling or half-sibling. That way, we could avoid any complications that could arise if, for instance, a prince has an illegitimate child who isn't known about for decades and then suddenly claims the throne out of nowhere.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Sure, not that I am a fan of monarchies. But why not? They have the same blood as the legit ones.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
SUCCEED, not SECEDE.
Thanks for pointing out this typo. I have now fixed this. :)

Sure, not that I am a fan of monarchies. But why not? They have the same blood as the legit ones.
Completely agreed.

Do you agree with my suggestion that the legitimization date of illegitimate royal children should be treated as their birth date for succession purposes in order to avoid surprises later on?

Feb 2019
Serbia
I think yes. The idea of a ''pure bloodline'' is in the past in my opinion, they are the children of a monarch just as much as the legitimate ones.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Thanks for pointing out this typo. I have now fixed this. :)

Completely agreed.

Do you agree with my suggestion that the legitimization date of illegitimate royal children should be treated as their birth date for succession purposes in order to avoid surprises later on?
Yes. An illegitimate child may be more like the ruler than the legit one(s). Interestingly, history is full of stories about the illegitimate child, usually a son, who eventually takes the throne, or conquers the legitimate ruler, or starts his own dynasty elsewhere.
6 Famous Bastards Who Made Their Mark
Big Bastards: 10 of History's Most Influential Illegitimate Children
15 Illegitimate Children Who Radically Changed History

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I think yes. The idea of a ''pure bloodline'' is in the past in my opinion, they are the children of a monarch just as much as the legitimate ones.
Yeah, I mean, if preventing non-agnates of a previous King from succeeding to a throne is considered anti-egalitarian (and it certainly is), then so is preventing illegitimate children from succeeding to a throne even if they have been subsequently legitimized.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Yes. An illegitimate child may be more like the ruler than the legit one(s). Interestingly, history is full of stories about the illegitimate child, usually a son, who eventually takes the throne, or conquers the legitimate ruler, or starts his own dynasty elsewhere.
6 Famous Bastards Who Made Their Mark
Big Bastards: 10 of History's Most Influential Illegitimate Children
Yeah, Portugal had two new royal dynasties be created by illegitimate male children of the previous royal dynasties when these previous dynasties' legitimate male agnate line ran out.