Should Israel give back land ?

Should Israel go back to pre 1967 borders?

• Yes they should

Votes: 89 61.0%
  • It's there land

Votes: 57 39.0%

• Total voters
Status
Closed

Vintersorg

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Belgium
This strays dangerously close to current events :neutral:

Now, in my opinion: if that could bring peace, then yes, Israel should do it.

But on the other hand, the Palestinians will never stop fighting as long as Israel exists. So I'm afraid that if Israel gives back land, the Palestinians will just ask for more and keep firing.

The only thing that could solve the situation is that both sides would stop shooting and bombing each other at the drop of a hat.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
When has giving land back worked between neighbors in history? It seems really rare and somewhat of a flawed concept. Unfortunately Israel gained much land in the 1967 war without actually subduing or defeating Palestinians- merely militarily checked relatively unstable regimes of Egypt and Jordan which were forced to pull back to avoid a real defeat and Israel lacked the strength to pursue and decisively win. It doesn't help that Palestinians have never really had their own state since biblical times either and none of the surrounding regimes really want to give them land but are happy to encourage Palestinians to try and take land from Israelis while also focusing much animosity of their own population against Israel that would otherwise fall on themselves.

That was the entire premise of the 'unconditional surrender' that Allies demanded from the Axis powers in WWII that the population had to feel defeated in order to avoid another war.

In my opinion the creation of Israel was not legal or really moral despite Jewish liquidation of WWII but we are 50 years and several generations past that mistake and have to deal with current situation not sit around wishing to turn back the clock.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
This poll is a bit loaded--Yes, I think that Israel should go back to borders which are close to those of 1967 but not to the exact 1967 borders. To elaborate, I think that most or all of the large Israeli settlements in the West Bank should become a part of Israel, with the Palestinians being given land in Israel proper to compensate them for this. Also, it might be nice to see what the actual views of the Arab residents of East Jerusalem are in regards to whether they prefer to live in Israel or in Palestine.

However, I want to point out that I only support all of this in the event that a final peace treaty is signed between Israel and the Palestinians. Until that point, I am not completely sure that having Israel withdraw from such a large amount of land is that good of an idea (and for the record, I strongly hope that there will be a final peace treaty between Israel and Palestine within the next ten years).

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In my opinion the creation of Israel was not legal or really moral despite Jewish liquidation of WWII but we are 50 years and several generations past that mistake and have to deal with current situation not sit around wishing to turn back the clock.
Agreed; regardless of whether or not creating a Jewish state in the Middle East back in 1948 was a good move, we have to deal with the current realities in regards to this situation.

Dec 2012
U.S.A.

Here's a map that I found. Here's the problem, Israel won't go back to pre-1967 borders due to the numerous Jewish settlements built on Palestinian land. They seem to be operating under the guise of "possession is 9/10 of the law" and have effectively taken land that was not theirs.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
I have a question for everyone: who decides which land belongs to who? The British? The French? Why do the Palestinians have a claim to the disputed territory? Why do the Israelis have a right to their country? Someone said the creation of Israel was illegal and immoral, why? Whatever the reasons for this conclusion, surely, the same reasons can be applied to the creation of Palestine too, no? What right did the British and French have in making any of the new artificial nations? What right did the Ottomans have to these lands prior to their defeat in WWI? These are all serious questions, that need be discussed before we start labeling countries as being illegal.

Status
Closed