Should Jerusalem be divided (approximately) based on ethnic lines?

Should Jerusalem be divided (approximately) based on ethnic lines?

• Total voters

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
As for me, I voted Yes since I don't think that it is in Israel's interests to continue ruling over 200,000+ poor Arabs who don't even have Israeli citizenship.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?

For reference:

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
A sensitive matter.

I tend to have a variable approach: it depends on which Jerusalem.

old Jerusalem has been the site of the government of historical Israel so that I do think it has to be the capital of modern Israel. So, if there will be any agreement about a division of the city, the Temple Mount has to remain in the Israeli part.

So that, by principal I'm not against the division of the city into two capitals, but since the Palestinians want also a pivotal part of the historical city [which is in my perspective "proper Jerusalem" and so the capital of Israel] and this makes it substantially impossible to reach a lasting agreement ... today, on historical bases, I tend to see the division as a further source of troubles.

Historically, while Jews have governed that land from Jerusalem [even if in a far past], Palestinians have never properly governed the Land of Canaan / Israel / Palestine [use the name you like best], on their own as independent entity, from the historical walls of Jerusalem.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
There would be a third way ...

Then, I remember a suggestion I discussed once on a US social network.

Starting from the realization that just the Temple Mount will be the object of the competition in case the division of the city would be decided ... there is who imagines to divide Jerusalem into three sectors:

* West Jerusalem = capital of Israel
* East Jerusalem = capital of Palestine
* Old Jerusalem = territory with international administration [so the Temple Mount would become something similar to the Vatican City in the middle of Rome, but in the case of Jerusalem it wouldn't be a sovereign entity].

The ratio of this suggestion is:

if the two parts are not able to find an agreement, they will have both to renounce to what they desire most ...

P.S. - an intermediate solution

Of course, there would be the possibility that the two parts agree on managing the Old City together [leaving it separated under Israeli Palestinian administration], but I'm afraid such a solution wouldn't be optimal [and sure sooner or later a side would try and taking over the Old City again].

Last edited:
Mar 2012
In the bag of ecstatic squirt
It must be taken by the U.N. That territory must be treated differently under International Law because of its historical importance not only to the Palestinians and the Israelis but the rest of the Jews, the Christians and the Muslims worldwide.

But, if Hamas continues to do their thing it shall be a permanent territory of Israel.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
It must be taken by the U.N. That territory must be treated differently under International Law because of its historical importance not only to the Palestinians and the Israelis but the rest of the Jews, the Christians and the Muslims worldwide.

But, if Hamas continues to do their thing it shall be a permanent territory of Israel.
Should all of Jerusalem be taken by the U.N.?

Mar 2012
In the bag of ecstatic squirt
Should all of Jerusalem be taken by the U.N.?
I believe so. That is a territory that is important to those three major religions that I mentioned. Perhaps citizenship is a choice of the inhabitants in that territory but the peace and order all together with the implementation of the law within the territory should be under the U.N.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
The Corpus Separatum of the UN partition plan was just composed by Jerusalem and surrounding area. It didn't meet a great success, to say the least ..