Should Russia have made a separate peace with Germany sometime between 1915 and 1917?

Should Russia have made a separate peace with Germany sometime between 1915 and 1917?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jan 2019
My mom's basement
Honestly yes,Russia sufered many casulties but still it had an army that was a force to be wrecking with,many history books and movies depict russian army as badly equpied and much inferior to german army.But the reason why i think Tsar didnt make peace with germany becouse he would lose popularity especially among high ranking army officers and his generals.Popularity was more important to him then lifes of his own men...
(sry if i made some gramatical mistakes,english is not my mother tounge.)

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
I think he would totally have discredited himself if he had made peace without being defeated (since the Russians were by no means defeated), that would have been the second time that the Russians had met with failure in a major war during his time; he was done foe either way.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
I think he would totally have discredited himself if he had made peace without being defeated (since the Russians were by no means defeated), that would have been the second time that the Russians had met with failure in a major war during his time; he was done foe either way.

That much seems clear.

Now, the existence of a Duma (albeit not one representing the lower orders or proletariat) had the benefit of drafting a law on succession so that a "reliable" princely family might offer a Prince Consort, a twentieth century Prince Albert figure (?), and allow one of the daughters to be crowned Empress. I am presuming that whenever such an event took place that Nicholas' brother would have strong feelings against becoming Emperor?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Technically speaking, the Russians were pushed back in 1915. However, you are correct that this in itself didn't have to be a reason to give up; after all, France lost some of its territory in 1914 and yet fought on.

BTW, the February Revolution was relatively unexpected, no?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
That much seems clear.

Now, the existence of a Duma (albeit not one representing the lower orders or proletariat) had the benefit of drafting a law on succession so that a "reliable" princely family might offer a Prince Consort, a twentieth century Prince Albert figure (?), and allow one of the daughters to be crowned Empress. I am presuming that whenever such an event took place that Nicholas' brother would have strong feelings against becoming Emperor?
What about the House of Orleans?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
The issue is that the provisional government was made largely of old politicians who did not appreciate the mood of the country
people listened to the Soviets and Bolsheviks because they told them what they wanted to hear .
the minister might talk of making war but the soldiers thought of making peace.
the July offensive was a big mistake, it destroyed the most disciplined troops and left the rest in the hands of soviets of soldiers
at the same time the French army was suffering from the widespread mutinies and the treatment was to softly restore morale with a sprinkling of shooting

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The issue is that the provisional government was made largely of old politicians who did not appreciate the mood of the country
people listened to the Soviets and Bolsheviks because they told them what they wanted to hear .
the minister might talk of making war but the soldiers thought of making peace.
the July offensive was a big mistake, it destroyed the most disciplined troops and left the rest in the hands of soviets of soldiers
at the same time the French army was suffering from the widespread mutinies and the treatment was to softly restore morale with a sprinkling of shooting
What's interesting, though, is that the Bolsheviks advocating making peace not with the current German government, but with the German soldiers and workers. Their logic was that a Communist revolution would soon occur in Germany if a Communist revolution had already occurred in Russia. Ultimately, it didn't work out that way and the Bolsheviks had to negotiate and make huge concessions to the current German government.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
You're talking about Nicholas II here. That said, though, what about Alexander Kerensky?

Also, does anyone here think that Germany would have won on the Western Front had Russia made peace in 1917 and had Germany had to only occupy Poland, Lithuania, Courland, and maybe Riga instead of also having to occupy Livonia, Estonia, Finland, and Ukraine (which would have allowed for more German troops to be sent to the West)?

Aug 2014
New York, USA
You're talking about Nicholas II here. That said, though, what about Alexander Kerensky?

Also, does anyone here think that Germany would have won on the Western Front had Russia made peace in 1917 and had Germany had to only occupy Poland, Lithuania, Courland, and maybe Riga instead of also having to occupy Livonia, Estonia, Finland, and Ukraine (which would have allowed for more German troops to be sent to the West)?
Hindsight is 20/20, but those were pretty major concessions at the time. I am sure literally no one in 1917 predicted how the rest of the century, or even the next few years, turned out for Russia.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Losing Poland, Lithuania, Courland, and maybe Riga would not have been such a big deal. AFAIK, Kerensky agreed to Polish independence as long as Poland would remain allied to Russia.