Should teenagers be allowed to get sex change?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If they'll have enough therapy beforehand and still want to go through with this, then sure. I mean, I certainly wouldn't want teenagers chopping off their wee-wee by themselves and dying as a result of this. :(

Feb 2019
Serbia
Teenagers are in a phase were their opinions, views and feelings are changing constantly. They are not in a state to make a decision that will impact their whole life because of some feeling that is very often temporary and I believe (Though I could be wrong.) that many of them regret such decisions later on. I am opposed to the concept of sex change in general and I don't think anyone should get it, but in the case of teenagers they haven't yet developed their feelings and views and shouldn't be allowed to make such critical decisions.

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
The transgender community is not homogenous. I would say binary/non-binary itself probably lies on a huge continuum, so there will be no uniform answer.

On one end, there are kids who felt "born in the wrong body" way before puberty, at 6 or 8, and they experience intense dysphoria. If we force puberty on them, then transition will be more difficult as they will retain more characteristic of the "assigned at birth" gender and still, feel dysphoric and sad. For these kids, maybe, the earlier the transition, the better.

And then there are people who actually don't want to blend into their true gender, and for them, non-binary is more of a broad definition of who they are, but they don't want to even fully transition, just do the top surgery, for example. I don't know how to call this group, it is too complicated.

I believe that the matter is out of the parents' hands anyhow. And in the liberal states kids will be able to decide for themselves, and in the conservative ones, probably, not. And in ten years, we shall have enough statistical data to process and understand more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ichon and Futurist

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
And here is another side to it.

78% of transgender youths are diagnosable on the spectrum.

Either something else is going with people on the autistic spectrum, and it merely manifests in the form gender dysphoria, or, there is a genetic link between two conditions, and if so, being transgender is not "a fad", but something very real.

Autism Spectrum Disorders in Gender Dysphoric Children and Adolescents

Slate’s Use of Your Data

I think we have to merely wait and listen to them because they will educate us more than anyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Futurist

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
I'm not able to read this full article, but apparently there are much more girls than boys wanting to change (I wonder why?):
Why are so many teenage girls appearing in gender clinics?
Too many reasons to understand.

However, if there is a high prevalence of autistic girls in this group, I wonder if puberty and periods are hard to process for them, as many have OCD and sensory issues.

Interesting enough, for another condition that is now considered "the female mask" of autism, i.e., eating disorder, there might be some subconscious wish to drop the weight to the level when the periods stop.

Just something to think about, I don't pretend it is the right explanation.

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
No. Teenagers are not old enough or mature enough to understand what it is they are asking for. In any case people wishing a sex change must live as that sex for several years before being able to have an operation. Teenagers are not old enough to have done that.

Reactions: David Vagamundo

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
No. Teenagers are not old enough or mature enough to understand what it is they are asking for. In any case people wishing a sex change must live as that sex for several years before being able to have an operation. Teenagers are not old enough to have done that.
Why "must"? I mean, there is such a thing as body autonomy, and much as we might not fully understand it - those are their bodies, not ours.