Should teenagers be allowed to get sex change?

Jan 2019
US
Why "must"? I mean, there is such a thing as body autonomy, and much as we might not fully understand it - those are their bodies, not ours.
But the surgeries are a service and subject to regulation to protect both the consumer and the doctor offering the service. If a kid makes a mistake, it might be their body, but the doctor had an obligation not to perform surgery if he wasn't certain that it wouldn't cause harm. Plastic surgeons (the ones with moral compasses, anyway) even have an obligation to reject patients if they think that the circumstances under which they came to them are questionable. It's important for people to undergo therapy and take time to fully consider the implications of their decision and their motivations with gender reassigning surgery. If a doctor can't be fully satisfied that the patient understands what they're doing and is not acting with questionable motives (if they have clinical impulsive issues, or just experienced trauma), that doctor can be held accountable for their indiscretion.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Why "must"? I mean, there is such a thing as body autonomy, and much as we might not fully understand it - those are their bodies, not ours.
Agreed, the thing is identifying real need against those wanting to make some sort of fad statement.

Feb 2019
Serbia
5 Years ago, we did not have this "problem" What is going on?
I want to know too, it seems like it just appeared out of nowhere. Besides a BBC documentary on someone named John Money and his idea of gender reassignment I wasn't able to find how these ideas developed and how did they become ''mainstream''. If someone could enlighten me I would appreciate it.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
5 Years ago, we did not have this "problem" What is going on?
Social pressure

Sheeple are told they have to be "understanding" and "accepting" of certain flavor of the month causes. This is one of them, one of the big ones. The more popularity it gains, naturally, the more followers it attracts, who fully embrace it to the point certain adults who have the misfortune to be parents think they are winning at life having a child who is trans, in some form of virtue signaling Munchausen By Proxy, who don't just fully accept when their immature and not fully developed child tells them they see themselves as a dinosaur robot vampire individual trapped in the body of the wrong sex, they actually encourage it. Not just parents, society as a whole. And they don't just want a few, they want a lot, because the more the merrier, the more that come out the more they can show acceptance to show because they accept it and cheer that they are great people!

In a year or two, it'll be replaced by something else that tops the billboard, which will no doubt be even more extreme, as extreme gets clicks and makes money and gets blood pumping.

Mar 2019
Victoria, Australia
Personally? No. I don't think so. In short, I don't think that people under 18, except in rare medical circumstance, should undergo that procedure. Simply because particularly teenagers switch through 'identities' extremely fast. One month they may be goth, next they'll be happy-go-lucky footballers. So there is the fact that these procedures are typically very difficult to reverse and are major - so the person should be sure. Also, even if they are sure I think 18 should be the minimum simply for a multitude of other reasons such as legal, health (operation difficult and possible risks afterwards...) etc...

However, I will say that this whole non-binary movement and the whole SJW movement that is associated with it has become rather cancerous. Like much of the feminism movement. It started off in a nice place. Equality (or equity - they are different), rights for all people. However, like most social movements they all seem to become ever more extremist and radical. With people expecting others to accept their opinions, ideals, and viewpoints regardless. I also find a lot of people I talk to fail to explain their viewpoint in a logical and sensical way. It's almost like they've never thought about it and the moment you question them about it, it is you've just spat in their face or something.

I think the two are related because much of this sex-change is being driven by this new craze in non-binary genders.

That's my viewpoint.

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
I support transgender rights and I am not against people getting a sex change but I’m concerned about teenagers taking that step. You’re not even able to buy a pack of cigarettes until you’re 18 but getting a sex change might be allowed?

Reactions: David Vagamundo
Mar 2019
Victoria, Australia
I support transgender rights and I am not against people getting a sex change but I’m concerned about teenagers taking that step. You’re not even able to buy a pack of cigarettes until you’re 18 but getting a sex change might be allowed?
Raises a good point here as to where you draw the line for what a non adult can or can't do.

If a child can get a sex-change. then it stands to reason that they should be able to get plastic surgery. After all, these two are pretty much the same in many aspects - arguably plastic surgery is a lot more simple. So really, you should say that plastic surgery should be allowed before a child can get a sex-change.

Then, if they can get plastic surgery, than what else can there do?

Interesting conundrum as to where you draw that arbirtrary line in the sand that says: "No, you can't do anything beyond that line until you are at least..... *rolls dice*.... 18."

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
Personally? No. I don't think so. In short, I don't think that people under 18, except in rare medical circumstance, should undergo that procedure. Simply because particularly teenagers switch through 'identities' extremely fast. One month they may be goth, next they'll be happy-go-lucky footballers. So there is the fact that these procedures are typically very difficult to reverse and are major - so the person should be sure. Also, even if they are sure I think 18 should be the minimum simply for a multitude of other reasons such as legal, health (operation difficult and possible risks afterwards...) etc...

However, I will say that this whole non-binary movement and the whole SJW movement that is associated with it has become rather cancerous. Like much of the feminism movement. It started off in a nice place. Equality (or equity - they are different), rights for all people. However, like most social movements they all seem to become ever more extremist and radical. With people expecting others to accept their opinions, ideals, and viewpoints regardless. I also find a lot of people I talk to fail to explain their viewpoint in a logical and sensical way. It's almost like they've never thought about it and the moment you question them about it, it is you've just spat in their face or something.

I think the two are related because much of this sex-change is being driven by this new craze in non-binary genders.

That's my viewpoint.
The most interesting thing? Non-binary and feminist movement are sort of at odds. The feminists are not happy with the non- binaries willing to revoke their female gender, and plus, they are angry about the toilets.

But I think that the two movements are not related because people within the two groups are very, very different.

That any movement can eventially become radical is another sad reality.