Should the Death penalty be Abolished Worldwide?

Should the Death penalty be Abolished Worldwide?

• Yes

• No

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Closed

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Even in the USA a so called free and advanced country, the death penalty is still in effect in a # of states. In going with humane civility dating back to the earliest humans, I stand against the death penalty. The Death penalty otherwise known as Capital Punishment should IMO be abolished worldwide. Yes there are very bad people in the world, but executing even the worst criminal is a crime itself. Killing is wrong and should only be used in extreme measures such as self defense. Thats my take what do others feel about The Death Penalty?

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
Why do you hate Islam? Their religion decrees the punishment of death for various crimes. Who are you to tell Muslim dominated countries how they should govern themselves? Are they allowed to do the same to you, and force you to follow their laws? I bet you'd hate that.

Ethnocentrism is a horrible thing to see on a globally visited website.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
Dead is pretty hard to undo. How many people have been executed only to discover later that they were innocent? On the other hand, some people simply don't deserve to breathe the same air as the rest of us and we shouldn't be forced to pay for their incarceration for the rest of their life. I don't have a problem with capital punishment if guilt could be proven beyond any shadow of doubt but it is rare for this to be the case. Maybe when we have infallible lie detectors. Until then, get rid of the death penalty. I vote 'yes' but have no fundamental aversion to capital punishment, only to its practical application.

Last edited:

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
Even in the USA a so called free and advanced country, the death penalty is still in effect in a # of states. In going with humane civility dating back to the earliest humans, I stand against the death penalty. The Death penalty otherwise known as Capital Punishment should IMO be abolished worldwide. Yes there are very bad people in the world, but executing even the worst criminal is a crime itself. Killing is wrong and should only be used in extreme measures such as self defense. Thats my take what do others feel about The Death Penalty?
I have always thought that the death penalty is an act of revenge rather than a punishment.

Nov 2016
Germany
I agree with Dan that, on the one hand, the main problem with the death penalty is insecurity in finding the truth and, on the other hand, there are certainly people who deserve to die. The first argument, however, takes precedence over the second, so the death penalty must be abolished in principle.

Of 7,482 death sentences in the USA (1973-2004), 4 percent turned out to be false.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
... we shouldn't be forced to pay for their incarceration for the rest of their life.
The experience here in America is that each execution costs society well over a million dollars. Death penalty cases are always appealed with multiple lawyers on both sides paid by the government. It's actually cheaper to feed, house, guard, and give medical care to a prisoner for sixty years than it is to pay all of those lawyers.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
Actually, the experience here in America is that each execution costs society well over a million dollars. Death penalty cases are always appealed with multiple lawyers on both sides paid by the government. It's actually cheaper to feed, house, guard, and give medical care to a prisoner for sixty years than it is to pay all of those lawyers.
And none of those lawyers would be necessary if guilt could be demonstrated beyond doubt. As I said, until we have something like an infallible lie detector, there shouldn't be capital punishment.

Nov 2016
Germany
Stick them in a prison cell for 40 years, they get lots of time to reflect
Convicts in US prisons have everything a man desires: TV, drugs and sexually pleasing female guards, female social workers and female doctors. And reflecting doesn't bring the victim to life.

The offender takes a final breath and all their woes are gone
Are you sure? And what do you think how terrible the last hours and minutes are and the many seconds of agony?

Last edited:
Status
Closed