Should the government have it's own search engine?

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Google is currently being sued by Tulsi Gabbard. Should the government provide a search engine that is unbiased and free from paid promotions ? Does Google have too much influence over what we can see, is it a concern that they could intentionally filter information when bribed to do so? Would a government run search engine be any better? Just throwing out an idea.

botully

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Amelia, Virginia, USA
I can’t imagine anyone believing a government run search engine would ever, in any country at all, be unbiased. The temptation is too great. It’s too easy to justify.
No, bad idea, at least in a society that imagines itself to be free.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Consider this - a government provided search engine must always necessarily return results that are legal. Thus, it can gemerally never provide unfiltered results.

A German search engine will not return results about Nazis, an Indian search engine may not return results about cooking beef, and no search engines would return results about paedophilia, even academic or legal sites.

And that's before you get started on political interference.

Oct 2010
DC
Google is currently being sued by Tulsi Gabbard. Should the government provide a search engine that is unbiased and free from paid promotions ? Does Google have too much influence over what we can see, is it a concern that they could intentionally filter information when bribed to do so? Would a government run search engine be any better? Just throwing out an idea.
I thought the reason behind their filtering her content was because they are "media" or something ?
---
I am not sure there can be a good government system outside of administrative stuff (Tax, Courts, ...etc)

Oct 2013
Europix
Though I am not sure what they are basing their judgement on but I do not think this [ Equal-time rule - Wikipedia ] applies and I do not think it can be done to the internet easily or practically.
To be honest, I didn't followed Google's (and Facebook's) deeds in US.

In EU they're (as others) confronting more the "provider" aspect, as actually they're no longer simple providers (=distributors).

The kids or homeless that is distributing the advertising door to door, in the streets, is legally responsible for more or less nothing, as a matter of fact. He's just distributing.

Once they start making lists of names, preferences of people, profiles of people and flyers, filtering the flyers, accepting/dismissing flyers, aso, their no longer simple distributors. Their responsibility (the legal one, I mean) is much more extended compared to a mere distributor's.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
To be honest, I didn't followed Google's (and Facebook's) deeds in US.

In EU they're (as others) confronting more the "provider" aspect, as actually they're no longer simple providers (=distributors).

The kids or homeless that is distributing the advertising door to door, in the streets, is legally responsible for more or less nothing, as a matter of fact. He's just distributing.

Once they start making lists of names, preferences of people, profiles of people and flyers, filtering the flyers, accepting/dismissing flyers, aso, their no longer simple distributors. Their responsibility (the legal one, I mean) is much more extended compared to a mere distributor.
and if Google was to be purchased by Russia or Israel or China...