Should the Illyrian language be brought back? *if possible*

Should the Illyrian language(s) be brought back *if possible*?

• Total voters
Status
Closed

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
But that alone is not evidence of a connection. For example, Albanians on average are fairly short in stature, yet they are considered descendants of Illyrians by relative majority of modern scientists.
There are two types of Albanians, one shorter and brunet, the other taller and more blond.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Ancient DNA cracks puzzle of Basque origins - BBC News

Their language most evidently also predates every Indo-European language.
About the genetics I said before that we can’t comment in this forum according to the rules. But BBC is not a source to this kind of situations. Surely they pointed out their sources in the article and you can follow them.

As for the language, note that pre-Indo-European is not the same as “pre-Neolithic”.

I drew your attention to some well-known soccer players.
You might object they all look more Slavic, rather than Illyrian - which in that case would require clarification.
My only objection is that they look like football players.

I would never formulate it that way, contrary to your distorted impression.
Ok. How would you formulate the implementation of such a project?

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
I think that you are joking. What are the "Illyrian physical features"? E.g. a lot of Serbs have faces which are common among Romanians, that means that Romanians are Illyrians too?
Agree, geb has been having a big laugh with this thread IMO.

geb

Jul 2011
western Europe
About the genetics I said before that we can’t comment in this forum according to the rules. But BBC is not a source to this kind of situations. Surely they pointed out their sources in the article and you can follow them.
There is a quasi-unanimous consencus regarding the Basques' origin and their language.

As for the language, note that pre-Indo-European is not the same as “pre-Neolithic”.
It is essentially equivalent though.

My only objection is that they look like football players.
If physiognomical recognition isn't your strong point, then it's not worth pursuing this discussion *with you* any further.

Ok. How would you formulate the implementation of such a project?
It wouldn't be very different to the initial stages of the Cornish revival, of other Celtic languages or to any other world language revival project.
It's not in the scope of this thread to outline in detail the implementations of this project.

Kotromanic said:
Agree, geb has been having a big laugh with this thread IMO.
Reticence & arrogance IMO

Last edited:

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
If physiognomical recognition isn't your strong point, then it's not worth pursuing this discussion *with you* any further.
Neither is it a suitable topic for discussion for this forum.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
There is a quasi-unanimous consencus regarding the Basques' origin and their language.
According to the source you quoted (Wikipedia), there isn’t.

It is essentially equivalent though.
Sorry, but it isn’t. If I am not mistaken, talking by memory now, is considered that Indo-European migrations arrived to arrive to the Iberian Peninsula in the Iron Age, at least the Lusitanians and the Celts. There is a huge window between the Iron Age and the “pre-Neolitic” period that you seem not to considerate. Feel free to correct me here if I am wrong.

Your opinion, your option. As I stated previously, two times, these themes can’t be treated here. This was now underlined by a moderator.

It wouldn't be very different to the initial stages of the Cornish revival, of other Celtic languages or to any other world language revival project.
It's not in the scope of this thread to outline in detail the implementations of this project.
I am not deep familiar with those revival projects.

If you say so, you begun the thread, and you are now being evasive to the question I asked.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Reticence & arrogance IMO
As far as reticence goes, no, I contributed to your discussion before it has (hopelessly, I fear) devolved into sniping. See below.

As a matter of archaeology and the precious little primary sources concerning the end of classical civilization (6th cent. AD) everything you have stated I agree with.

My point is that although our original poster added a sort of legal disclaimer to the opening comment, the topic is closely related to the development of modern Albania.

Since the larger economic powers (and yes military blocs)are very likely to continue to offer competing incentives to Albania and its neighbors for cooperation, there is a faulty equivalency to the situation of the Native Americans either in Canada or the States.

The Romans were so thorough in re-making culture long before the shifting of populations during ~540 - 800 era that even during the early centuries of the common era there would have been no basis of reviving the language. (To slightly add context to your comment.)

Jul 2010
N/A
In retrospect, Jews brought back Hebrew as part of their national revival, because it was the language of their people many centuries ago, and they have an unbroken link with those ancestors, more or less.
In the case of Jews there is a clear genetic distinction that can be made. On the other hand we should be careful to say there is a clear genetic distinction between ancient and modern Greeks. I am a modern Greek, I know full well I have no genetic connection to the Minoans or their people and despite the unbroken connection to the Greek language, the modern Greek people are not the same as the ancient Greek people because Greek is not a race.

I'm not advocating it just for the Illyrian language but for any native obsolete language from a general perspective; I thought the examples provided made that clear.
What point does this serve, I have no interest and no connections to Minoan things, or Minoan script, what needs to be kept is kept through an unbroken connection to ancient Greek mythology. Learning linear a script serves no purpose to the average Greek person. It doesn't serve much purpose to myself either as its outside my research are and I am a historian. Put straightforwardly this is a nonsense conversation.

My time would be better served now in learning ancient and classical Greek, and Pontian Greek among other things because these are still useful languages for the people of my country. This reminds of a relevant skit but I'm not sure historum supports video code.

Last edited:
Status
Closed