Should the people of tomorrow admire Che Guevara?

Feb 2019
Thrace
Bottom line, was Che a historical figure worthy of admiration or a villainous example? Nelson Mandela referred to him as "an inspiration for every human being who loves freedom", while Jean-Paul Sartre described him as "not only an intellectual but also the most complete human being of our age". Nonetheless, he "advocated violence to enforce a utopian philosophy of the collective good" and countless human beings suffered because of his violent actions. We're left to decide whether he was forced into an extremist by the USA, or perceive him as a historical figure who was too radical in his movement and a bad example overall.

So should he be despised or admired by future generations, overall?

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
admiration to Che Guevara? :mad: No more than admiration to Hitler-Stalin-Mao or Jack the Ripper... Well sorry, the old leather apron was a poor libertine ... with an alternative lifestyle ...

Ernesto Guevara de la Serna was a Psycopat...a really psyco-killer... a racist (he hated the negroes...jewish...etc) that enjoyed killing...

El odio es el elemento central de nuestra lucha! El odio tan violento que impulsa al ser humano más allá de sus limitaciones naturales, convirtiéndolo en una máquina de matar violenta y de sangre fría. Nuestros soldados tienen que ser así.” (Ernesto Guevara de la Serna)

Hate is the central element of our struggle! The hate so violent that impulses the human being beyond its natural limitations, turning it into a violent and cold-blooded killing machine. Our soldiers have to be like that!

Los negros, esos magníficos ejemplares de la raza africana que han mantenido su pureza racial gracias al poco apego que le tienen al baño, han visto invadidos sus reales por un nuevo ejemplar de esclavo: el portugués (Ernesto Guevara de la Serna)

The negroes, those magnificent specimens of the African race that have maintained their racial purity thanks to their lack of addition for the bathroom, have seen their lives invaded by a new slave specimen: the Portuguese man! (Ernesto Guevara de la Serna)

el negro indolente y soñador, se gasta sus pesitos en cualquier frivolidad o en ‘pegar unos palos’ , el europeo tiene una tradición de trabajo y de ahorro que lo persigue hasta este rincón de América y lo impulsa a progresar (Ernesto Guevara de la Serna)

Negroes are lazy and dreamer. they spend their money in any stupid thing or in getting drunk. The European man have a long tradition in working and save money what follows till the last corner in America and impels him to progress...

Yes, it is a mystery for me why KKK don´t adopt to Che Guevara as his Hero... maybe because he was a red...

But I prefer what he wrote to his billionaire father... tengo que confesarte, papá, que me gusta matar... (Daddy, I have to confess to you... I like to kill

Admiration to Che? OF COURSE NOT....maybe the romantic libertine.. the dear Jack the ripper?

Regards

Oct 2013
Monza, Italy
I believe it will depend on each one's point of view, I heard of people who consider him an hero and others who consider him a criminal, surely it's necessary to consider South America's XX century history, the impact of U.S. imperialism and everything else before giving a judgement, some people still can't go behind Che's popularity among some Western youngsters. Let's just consider some serious biography and get a point of view.

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
To admire him for what? He was a reckless man of low intellect, even marxist intellectuals like György Lukács saw him for what he really was: a fool who through his actions was rather discrediting their own marxist cause.

Last edited:

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
I believe it will depend on each one's point of view, I heard of people who consider him an hero and others who consider him a criminal, surely it's necessary to consider South America's XX century history, the impact of U.S. imperialism and everything else before giving a judgement, some people still can't go behind Che's popularity among some Western youngsters. Let's just consider some serious biography and get a point of view.
The Western youngsters inoculated with leftist ideas needed a contemporary idol to worship and consequently, in lack of something more appealing, the myth of "the last great romantic revolutionary" Che Guevara was created for them.

Last edited:
Oct 2013
Monza, Italy
The Western youngsters inoculated with leftist ideas needed a contemporary idol to worship and consequently, in lack of something more appealing, the myth of "the last great romantic revolutionary" Che Guevara was created for them.
I don't know if they were inoculated with leftist ideals, still it's an irony how Che Guevara's face has been transformed to a capitalist marketing product in the West.

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
You would be surprised how many!

The problem is that Che is the typical example of history "learned" through hearsays, Reddit, Facebook and joint-agremented-corner-of-the-street-revolutionary-talks.

In short: admiring an image of a Che that never existed.
The question was rather rhetorical, for example our former prime minister Victor Ponta used to wear a Che Guevara t-shirt, but it suited him very well, on others it wouldn't be so well suited.