Should Turkey join the European Union?

Turkey should join the European Union

• Total voters
Nov 2013
Kingdom of Sweden
This is a debate of major importance for all Turks and citizens of the European Union, as well as anyone else who is interested. The question is simple: should the Republic of Turkey (be allowed to) join the European Union?

Apr 2013
Romania
As I understand the turkish government wants in EU, but the majority of the population dont want to. In EU some countries want that Turkey join the EU, and other countries dont want that. In the long term I dont think that will happen ,because EU is not prepared to have troubled neighbours like Iran or Syria.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
It is their decision to make.
But if they decide to join, refusing would be both immoral and stupid.

bartieboy

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
The Netherlands
With a few changes I would say that a certain partnership would be in order.
Things can build up from there.

MarshallBudyonny

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
New Verulamium
The main issue facing their membership bid is Erdogan's domestic policies. By directly impeaching the rights of citizens, supposedly promoting discrimination and also clamping down of opposition he's going to have a hard time lobbying Turkey's entry proposals.

Sep 2012
Brazil
The main issue facing their membership bid is Erdogan's domestic policies. By directly impeaching the rights of citizens, supposedly promoting discrimination and also clamping down of opposition he's going to have a hard time lobbying Turkey's entry proposals.
Oh come on, their membership bid has not started yesterday. They applied for association in the 1950s, and for full membership in 1987, long before Erdogan. There must be more profound and lasting motives for negating their membership.

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
There are so many issues that need to be resolved before Turkey can join and that was before Erdoğan took such a hard line stance against freedom of speech and against protestors. I think the issue is over now and it's not going to happen.

Jun 2014
Land of fire
I see no problem at all with Turkey in the EU, after all if we value Turkey as a member of NATO why should we not value them in the EU? Most EU members are allied with Turkey in NATO so it makes no sense for me why we would be against our allies Turkey joining the rest of their NATO allies in the EU?

Turkey is a friend and ally in NATO and thus should be accepted as an EU member as well. If Turkey is good enough for the US and the EU as a NATO member they should be good enough to be an EU member as well, after all only countries that share our western values are NATO members and Turkey therefor shares these values and are prepared to defend them and thus should be automatic EU members.