Shroud of Turin and the Spread of Christianity

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
Did Shroud of Turin inspire spread of Christianity?
Written By Stephanie Pappas-Published April 06, 2012-LiveScience

A hoax or a miracle? The Shroud of Turin has inspired this question for centuries. Now, an art historian says this piece of cloth, said to bear the imprint of the crucified body of Jesus Christ, may be something in between.
According to Thomas de Wesselow, formerly of Cambridge University, the controversial shroud is no medieval forgery, as a 1989 attempt at radiocarbon dating suggests. Nor is the strange outline of the body on the fabric a miracle, de Wesselow writes in his new book, "The Sign: The Shroud of Turin and the Secret of the Resurrection" (Dutton Adult, 2012). Instead, de Wesselow suggests, the shroud was created by natural chemical processes — and then interpreted by Jesus' followers as a sign of his resurrection.
"People in the past did not view images as just the mundane things that we see them as today. They were potentially alive. They were seen as sources of power," de Wesselow told LiveScience. The image of Jesus found on the shroud would have been seen as a "living double," he said. "It seemed like they had a living double after his death and therefore it was seen as Jesus resurrected."

Read more: Did Shroud of Turin inspire spread of Christianity? | Fox News

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Historians are in agreement about the physical history of this object since the XIV century, before of that there are several opinions, but not a generally accepted assumption.

In Eastern Christianity anyway there is a reference to the "Mandylon" which according to someone was a name of the shroud in early Middle Age [VI century].

Now, the primary function of this object [Mandylon included] was to endorse Christian faith, to make it stronger with a tangible evidence of the death of Jesus, not in particular to spread it.

About the aspect of Jesus, it's irrelevant with reference to the function that the shroud would have had through the centuries [a part of the people of Christian faith believed and believe that the image is the figure of the Christ].

RoryOMore

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
USA
I've generally thought of the Shroud as something other than a work of art. The cloth's age isn't really important -- it's the image on the cloth that's interesting.

Someone, though, has cobbled together the notion that Leonardo Da Vinci may have churned this out an improvement on an earlier shroud. I can imagine that old screwball messing around with his anatomy and optics and coming up with something like this by accident.

bunyip

Ad Honorem
Sep 2010
I know there is conflicting opinions about the whole piece of cloth.
Indeed.

The best evidence suggests the shroud and its image were both produced in the middle ages.

I find it fascinating that the image looks enough like Leonardo da Vinci for people to claim it is his image.I'm not entirely convinced that Jesus, a Middle Eastern Jew of the first century CE looked anything like a fifteenth century Florentine.

Context:This was the era of the Reformation.A livid martin Luther produced his 95 theses in 1517.

Not only was there a roaring trade in indulgences,there was also a stunning variety of holy relics on offer:

EG enough pieces of wood and nails from "the true cross" to build a small house,breast milk from the virgin Mary and straw from Jesus' manager. The shroud from Jesus' tomb fits right in. To this day there are two 'spear of destiny' (THE spear which pierced the side of Jesus on the cross).An owner of one of the spears was a Mr A Hitler. PLUS,in Italy, there are two churches each having the head of John The Baptist,(obviously, one is the head of John as a younger man) :cool:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Z64gn87Io"]blackadder archbisop curses - YouTube[/ame]

Aug 2011
This goes back to my thread "What did Jesus look like?"

Jesus didn't look anything like that.

Jesus may have looked different in his life, but at the time of his death he may have grown long hair and and a beard in captivity ,Did the Bible say just how long Jesus was held in captivity before his sentencing on the cross ?

bunyip

Ad Honorem
Sep 2010
I've generally thought of the Shroud as something other than a work of art.
Me too; it is either a wonderfully skillful practical joke or clever forgery made to fool the credulous. Works splendidly as either. :)

vid

Jun 2009
Slovakia
One of ecumenical councils ("infallible in matters of faith") decreeded that *NO* temple can be consecrated without relic of saints in it. I'm too lazy to look up exact reference now. Imagine what market that created for relics forging.