Sibling marriage in Southeast Asian cultures

Sep 2016
EU
What was (and is) - from cultural, social and religious perspective - the attitude in Southeast Asia regarding sibling marriages?
I noticed that many historical figures married a sister or a brother.
Like the Thai king Rama V who married 5 of his (half)sisters; the burmese kings Razadarit, Binnya E Law, Nyaungyan; the King of Laos Sisavang Vong, the cambodian prince Norodom Phangangam, etc
What about taking as consort the concubine of your father? The step-mother.
Was it accepted, normal, or tolerated?

Last edited:
Jan 2015
meo
Never heard about any Vietnam emperor marry anyone relates to him. Also never heard about incest marriage in Vietnam culture and history. I only know some guys who married his...adopted daughter. But he's also a rapist so I am not sure if it's acceptable or it's just that he's a pervert. Not sure about the minority ethnics thou. Well, at least I know an old daimyo who married his young niece so who know?

Last edited:
Jun 2017
The Old Continent
I find this topic intriguing.
In Europe we had the Habsburgs who bred with each other until they destroyed themselves. Charles II of Spain was a pitiful soul.
Does anyone have more informations about the motives behind this Asian cases?

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Prohibited on pain of death in India. The strictest distance asks to avoid three genealogical lines (Jats). It is the reason for many honour killings in Northern India. Second cousin marriage is prohibited in law for Hindus. The mean is something like three generations and not the same genealogical line (gotra).

May 2017
China
Prohibited on pain of death in India. The strictest distance asks to avoid three genealogical lines (Jats). It is the reason for many honour killings in Northern India. Second cousin marriage is prohibited in law for Hindus. The mean is something like three generations and not the same genealogical line (gotra).
muslim india married their cousin

Dreamhunter

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Malaysia
In Islam, the incest law is prohibition on:

(1) someone marrying a linear biological ancestor or a linear biological descendant, e.g. mother, father, daughter, son, grandmother, grandfather, grand daughter, grandson etc.

(2) someone marrying a very close relative, e.g. first aunt (sister of mother or father), first uncle (brother of mother or father), first niece (daughter of sister or brother), first nephew (son of sister or brother).

(3) someone marrying former stepmother, former stepfather, former stepdaughter, former stepson etc.

Marrying a cousin is okay. Cousin is not on the same level as sister or brother. Adoptees are also okay, becos there is no biological link, provided they were never married to your mother, father, son, daughter etc.